Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well because the vehicle will not go past 40 mph and after replacing the plugs, wires, cap/rotor, fuel filter (it got up to 60 MPH for 10 miles and then wouldn't go past 40) and after finding gunk in the old gas filter after letting the RC sit idle for 6 mos, I have decided it's the gas and plan on dropping out the tank and cleaning it out and the lines before putting another filter on it.

My experience in these things is that I will usually break something else in the process. Anyone have any experience in this and would care to share them with me so I don't make any major mistakes?
thanks.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
I helped jaamzg a few months back with dropping the tank on his 1991 RC. It's actually easier than the carbed trucks. Drain as much out of the tank as possible. Put a jack and spacer under it and loosen the J bolts and lower the tank down. The wires and fuel lines all plug in. Just pop them off and drop the tank. The sending unit is held on with a large hose clamp. There is also a large spring inside. Don't let it snap up and hit you.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sandbag3 said:
Well because the vehicle will not go past 40 mph and after replacing the plugs, wires, cap/rotor, fuel filter (it got up to 60 MPH for 10 miles and then wouldn't go past 40) and after finding gunk in the old gas filter after letting the RC sit idle for 6 mos, I have decided it's the gas and plan on dropping out the tank and cleaning it out and the lines before putting another filter on it.

My experience in these things is that I will usually break something else in the process. Anyone have any experience in this and would care to share them with me so I don't make any major mistakes?
thanks.
Thanks for the git back. Once i have it off is there anything I should go ahead and replace since I have it exposed? If my suspicions are correct j(udging from the gunk in the old fuel filter) I think I will find the fuel pump screen to be clogged and plan on replacing it. The fuel pump costs about $100 at AutoZone, wondering if I should replace it as well even though it appears to be working fine. It's a 90 but only with 60K on it.

G

·
if its fuel injected, don't forget to depressurize the fuel system! Otherwise you'll get a fuel spray everywhere, eventhough its only at 14 psi. I know by trial and error. I dropped my tank without depressurizing the system and when I went to pull off the fuel lines it sprayed me in the face. Gasoline stings!! I tried an aftermarket fuel pump on my 88 and the engine just tore it up. I had to replace it with a Chrysler part. 275 green ones. Maybe mine was an isolated deal but I've heard that these dodge engines don't take kindly to aftermarket pumps (unless its a really good one). It might also be wise to label the fuel lines. It took me about an hour longer to fix because I had the lines mixed up.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mudbong said:
if its fuel injected, don't forget to depressurize the fuel system! Otherwise you'll get a fuel spray everywhere, eventhough its only at 14 psi. I know by trial and error. I dropped my tank without depressurizing the system and when I went to pull off the fuel lines it sprayed me in the face. Gasoline stings!! I tried an aftermarket fuel pump on my 88 and the engine just tore it up. I had to replace it with a Chrysler part. 275 green ones. Maybe mine was an isolated deal but I've heard that these dodge engines don't take kindly to aftermarket pumps (unless its a really good one). It might also be wise to label the fuel lines. It took me about an hour longer to fix because I had the lines mixed up.
It's a TBI-does that mean it is pressurized and if so how does one depressurize? labeling the lines are a good idea. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
TBI should be pressurized as well. If you go farther up the frame to the fuel filter you could pull on the lines that goes to the tanks and let it bleed off the pressure into a catch can.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RAMMAN4 said:
TBI should be pressurized as well. If you go farther up the frame to the fuel filter you could pull on the lines that goes to the tanks and let it bleed off the pressure into a catch can.
Great, I will do that. Do I need to do anything to repressurize
the system when I put everything back together again?

·
Registered
162 Posts
With regards to getting rid of the residual fuel pressure, the procedure described in the 88 FSM for TBI tells you to:
1. Loosen the gas cap to release any tank pressure.
2. Remove the wiring harness connector from the injector harness.
3. Ground one injector terminal with a jumper.
4. Connect a jumper wire to the second terminal and touch the positive battery terminal for no longer than ten seconds.
5. remove jumper wires.
6. reconnect harness.
This procedure just opens up one of the injectors and bleeds off the fuel. I'm assuming that this procedure is the same for 1990 and it's safer than pulling a line off. You're engine might belch a little black smoke on first start up, but most of the fuel in the manifold will disipate while you are playing with the gas tank.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Go to O'reilly's and get a new Carter Fuel pump. Carter has about the best aftermarket fuel pumps made. Be careful when you go to pull the fuel lines off, those little plastic tits those hoses connect to break pretty easily, then you gotta go get another sending unit. ($50 @ your local salvage yard) Don't let the weight of the tank rest on those lines, or they'll break the little plastic tits previously mentioned. Go ahead and replace that pump while you are there. If that screen in the tank is clogged, it stresses the pump and they burn up. When you get a pump, it comes with a hose about 6 inches long. That goes from the pump output to one of the tits that goes thru the sender. Replace that hose. I've had the tank off my '88 RC 3 or 4 times now and these are all words of wisdom. The school of hard knocks is an accellerated curriculum.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
I don't think partsamerica sells carter pumps. Oreillys or NAPA for Carter fuel pumps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts