Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of pulling the motor and A518 out of my '90 RC. At 145k, just needs freshening up, however I couldn't resist going with a 360 to replace the OEM 318 with. I'm thinking that now that the motor is out, and the trans will be out tomorrow, I figure I'll leave the transfer case in place to help line things back up during re-assy. I have the overhaul kit from Drivetrain Specialties, soooooo, I figure I'll pull the D-shafts and finish the job up by replacing both u-joints and freshening up the transfer case, last? Makes sense to me. Anybody else done this and learned anything from this they can share? I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
I don't know if it's possible to remove the tranny and just leave the t-case when both are married. But if lining everything back up when you reenstall the engine and tranny are your concern, don't worry. Nothing is gonna change so much that it will be out of whack.

Ed

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Imagine reassembly.....would you rather being pullin and cussin the whole tranny/engine combo into place to try to fit onto the TC, or just trying to fit the TC onto the already positioned engine/tranny? Go ahead and pull the TC at same time as the rest of the drivetrain. Or at least, pull and install the tranny and TC as a unit.

·
Premium Member
8,689 Posts
well i have done that several times every different way in my cage and 79 rc's , if you already have the engine out, I highly recomend taking the tranny/t-case out together under the truck, then when you put them back together, I would start with the tranny and case, then drop the engine down onto it, right now i have the tranny and t case out of the cagedodge, and the eng is still in, since i am rebuilding the tranny, I plan to put it in first, then put the case up to it

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Yeah Dodgeman is right do that way way less hassle and AZ is right as well on this .

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All good input and well appreciated, however I do have one minor concern.....I've lowered my transfer case 1 1/2" and I thought I read somewhere (In my FSM), that there is a need for drivetrain alignment, and perhaps even an alignment procedure? I'm going to replace the stock rubber mounts with Energy suspension replacement pieces. Just trying to get this right.

Another question.. Drivetrain Direct sent ,me the overhaul kit I ordered with all the seals, bearings, gaskets, o-rings etc. that I need to do this job. The chain is a "Morse Hy-Vo Chain" mfgd. by Borg Warner. It says on the box that it's a 72 pitch and physically measures 1 1/2" wide. My '90 RC has the 241 NP. Anybody see any fitment problems here I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Dave

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
Runin' With The Devil said:
All good input and well appreciated, however I do have one minor concern.....I've lowered my transfer case 1 1/2" and I thought I read somewhere (In my FSM), that there is a need for drivetrain alignment, and perhaps even an alignment procedure? I'm going to replace the stock rubber mounts with Energy suspension replacement pieces. Just trying to get this right.
I don't know in which context your FSM is referring to drivetrain alignment. Since you lowered the t-case, it's safe to assume that you also have a suspension lift. I would have to relate the drivetrain alignment issue with the amount of lift involved. I think the primary reason to be concerned with the drivetrain alignment is because of the angle those u-joints at the ends of the driveshaft will be operating at.

Excessive u-joint operating angles creates alot of heat in the u-joint, and in turn breaks down the grease that lubricates them. This causes premature failure of the u-joints. Lowering your t-case reduces the operating angles on the driveshafts, so you shouldn't have much of a concern for drivetrain alignment.

Another question.. Drivetrain Direct sent ,me the overhaul kit I ordered with all the seals, bearings, gaskets, o-rings etc. that I need to do this job. The chain is a "Morse Hy-Vo Chain" mfgd. by Borg Warner. It says on the box that it's a 72 pitch and physically measures 1 1/2" wide. My '90 RC has the 241 NP. Anybody see any fitment problems here I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Dave
Borg-Warner and New Process are two very different transfer case manufacturers. It's possible that BW has replacement chains for NP's t-cases but I doubt that a BW chain will fit into a NP t-case. Remove the old chain and make a side by side comparison.

Ed

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
While we're on the topic, I took the backing plate off of my 203 and was curious how much play is "too much play" in regards to the chain. its got about 3/4 of an inch give on the un-tensioned side, if that makes any sense.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts