Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the ideal amount of spline showing on a front driveshaft while the rig is sitting with it's weight on all 4 tires evenly? the reason i ask is im pulling an engine for another member and while under the truck i noticed he only has about 1/2 to 3/4 inch of splines showing amd it just looked to me there should be more showing. the truck has been lifted and has has an aftermarket drive shaft in it. David

G

·
What type of lift did he use in the rear?

The reason I ask is I did a shackle flip and removed the blocks. The rear axle moved forward about an inch which left me with about an inch of splines showing.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He used a Rancho spring lift on the front (thats where the problem is) and Superlift springs on the rear and removed the factory block (he didnt want to use the Rancho block on the rear so he got enough spring on the rear to go completly blockless). there is an aftermarket driveshart on the front and i beleave he got too long a shaft on the front. David

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Yeah, I'm no expert, but I see why you ask. Seems like deep compression could drive the shaft down solid and crack the TC case. I've heard that happens, but couldn't begin to tell ya how much is "not enough" leeway.

·
Premium Member
8,689 Posts
I try to have about an inch of compression travel and 4 out before it seperates,,lol and I have a spacer on my shaft

1 - 8 of 8 Posts