Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a 72 dodge crew W200 that has a fair amount of play in the front drive shaft.... from the NP 205 to the Dana 44 in front any repair/replace suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
Play in the slip is pretty common with the divorced transfer case trucks due to the driveshaft being so long.  It's possible for a driveshaft shop to "rebuild" the shaft with a new spline and slip yoke or you can have a new shaft made from scratch.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The play is in the slip yoke and clanks like a bitch going down the road I was underneath looking at it and noticed what looks like tape wrapped around it. looks like it was put in long ago to keep it quiet but recently slid out.

Is there a place that can be found to get a "Stock" replacement?

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
lopaka311 said:
clanks like a bitch going down the road

Is there a place that can be found to get a "Stock" replacement?
a 1972 should NOT spin the d-shaft go,in down the road - there is NO such thing as a factory replacement for a 46 year old 1972 = they tore that factory down 30 years ago

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
if yer good with puters and "web" sites , dana / spicer has a very good site , IF you can find it , for automotive drive shaft parts , measurements , and part numbers , a good drive shaft shop can use those numbers and get the parts. its how I found the right yokes for making steering shafts that fit on the gear box the same as the original coupler does .  some slip joint male splines have a "plastic" coating on the splines ... always be sure the shaft is "phased" correctly when you assemble it . }----{ 

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DODGEBOYS said:
a 1972 should NOT spin the d-shaft go,in down the road - there is NO such thing as a factory replacement for a 46 year old 1972 = they tore that factory down 30 years ago
When I was saying "stock" replacement I meant as an example I can go to O'Reillys and get "stock" replacement spark plugs. are they the same plugs as the truck came with in 1972... no but they bolt in fit and all I have to do is give truck year and engine info.

I didn't want to type out where can I go ask about getting a plug and play driveshaft that would fit the front of a 1972 dodge 3/4 ton W200 crew cab with divorced transfer case with out taking measurements.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dodge82273 said:
if yer good with puters and "web" sites , dana / spicer has a very good site , IF you can find it , for automotive drive shaft parts , measurements , and part numbers , a good drive shaft shop can use those numbers and get the parts. its how I found the right yokes for making steering shafts that fit on the gear box the same as the original coupler does . some slip joint male splines have a "plastic" coating on the splines ... always be sure the shaft is "phased" correctly when you assemble it . }----{
Thank you for the Dana-spicer idea just called them and they haven't made a drive shaft for the 72 dodge in years and not even from their after market dept.... kind of sucks sometimes living in the middle of nowhere....lol no Driveshaft shops with in a hundred miles.

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
You an always order one.  I think we have a member here that has a driveshaft shop.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
lopaka311 said:
Thank you for the Dana-spicer idea just called them and they haven't made a drive shaft for the 72 dodge in years and not even from their after market dept.... kind of sucks sometimes living in the middle of nowhere....lol no Driveshaft shops with in a hundred miles.
no why would the make a shaft they have little market for , no LOOK on their web site , they make the ends and the joints , sold by style/type/size , and assembled elsewhere .... its NOT an easy site to find ....

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
There's all kinds of aftermarket driveshaft builders out there.
They all use the best parts for better quality than stock pieces.
And their prices are cheaper than IF you could buy one from a dealership.

Tom Woods is really good at it... http://www.4xshaft.com/

Six States Driveshaft know what they're doing... http://www.sixstates.com/products/products.jsp

It's not that difficult to measure for an order.
They have instructions on how to on their websites.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
I've cobbled driveshafts before. You want to use ends that fit the same size tubes. You part the welds and mix'n'match the pieces.  The ends can be coaxed into the tubes with heat, then check the runout, and adjust. When you're happy, tack weld it; check again, burn it home.

Neapco makes cheaper ends than Spicer... if you have to buy new.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
u2slow said:
I've cobbled driveshafts before. You want to use ends that fit the same size tubes. You part the welds and mix'n'match the pieces. The ends can be coaxed into the tubes with heat, then check the runout, and adjust. When you're happy, tack weld it; check again, burn it home.

Neapco makes cheaper ends than Spicer... if you have to buy new.
In all the years I've been on this planet... I've found it's way better to spend a little more for the best than to replace it in a short time down the road.
Be patient and save for the best.
I've been running the same Spicer 1350 U-Joints for over 10 years now without a single issue. AND I'm not easy on them. Now where is that piece of wood... knockknock. ;D

lopaka311 I bent my original front shaft many, many moons ago. I'm talking 43 years ago. This is when you could go to the parts guy at the Dodge dealership and order a complete replacement shaft.
If there was a place like the ones out there now... I would have gone to them instead of the dealer.
The shafts I have now are far superior than the factory shafts ever were.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.