Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 90' W250. When I put my truck into reverse there is one loud clunk noise that seems to be coming from the driveshaft. Someone told me that it has to do with the type of driveshaft, that its hollow, and that it's normal. Never heard this before. Anyone want to shed some light? Thanks.

-Jesse

·
Super Moderator
14,035 Posts
jmbruen said:
I have a 90' W250. When I put my truck into reverse there is one loud clunk noise that seems to be coming from the driveshaft. Someone told me that it has to do with the type of driveshaft, that its hollow, and that it's normal. Never heard this before. Anyone want to shed some light? Thanks.

-Jesse
Whoever told you that is wrong. You should check your u-joints for starters, because those can clunk. Sometimes they just need lubricating, sometimes they are worn out. If you had a W150 I'd say it was the infamous 9 1/4 rear axle clunk, but you should have a D60 rear. Still, any slack in the driveline can cause a clunk noise.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've greased the ujoints regularly since i got the truck, but they could be worn out. Can you see if drive shaft ujoints are worn out by just grabbing them and trying to move them around?

·
Super Moderator
14,035 Posts
If they're worn out enough to clunk, you should be able to tell by manually moving the driveshaft.  Put truck in neutral and apply parking brakes with wheel chocks.  You never know what is actually clunking until you look.

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
Heh, I wonder if he has the oddball 9 1/4" HD?

·
Super Moderator
14,035 Posts
Elwenil said:
Heh, I wonder if he has the oddball 9 1/4" HD?
That's why I said "should have" the D60. I'm hedging a bet on the HD also ;)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i'll be sure to check in 2 weeks when i get home and keep you all posted.

also how do I check if I have a D60?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
jmbruen said:
well i'll be sure to check in 2 weeks when i get home and keep you all posted.

also how do I check if I have a D60?
It will have wheel hubs that stick out, full float axle. It will ahve a 60 cast in the diff housing.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
4x4 440 said:
It will have wheel hubs that stick out, full float axle. It will ahve a 60 cast in the diff housing.
Can't check the casting but here's my truck. Hubs like that? So the 7 1/4 HD rear ends don't have hubs like that?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
That's a D60.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Elwenil said:
That's a D60.
So does that mean my chances of the clunk coming from the rear end are small and that it's most likely the slip joint or perhaps the u-joints?

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
Correct.  Most likely it's U-joints, yoke straps, slip yoke or the yokes themselves.  It could still be a pinion bearing problem but that is usually indicated by a very badly leaking pinion seal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.