Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a (cheap) source for this fabled DRBII diagnostic tool and "diagnostic program cartridge" that the book calls for to check codes?

Do I really need one?

Has a check engine light on constantly.  Originally thought to be due to alternator issue, but new one and aftermarket regulator did not clear it.

I'd like to know how to read what codes actually exist.  Old days (Toyota) you could jumper some test points and read the flashes to get the codes. 

·
Super Moderator
14,338 Posts
You may still be able to do the key triggering (not sure about '93). You turn the key off-on 3 times, ending with key in "on" position (not start) and watch for the flashing light sequence in the dash.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Seems like a waste of time to chase codes on a truck where the engine and trans aren't electronic.

·
Super Moderator
14,338 Posts
u2slow said:
Seems like a waste of time to chase codes on a truck where the engine and trans aren't electronic.
Even as a diesel, it'll have a few electronic components - crank sensor, voltage regulator, TPS, speed sensor, ABS sensor. most of these will be for cruise control and charging

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ToxicDoc said:
Even as a diesel, it'll have a few electronic components - crank sensor, voltage regulator, TPS, speed sensor, ABS sensor. most of these will be for cruise control and charging
"the book" warns against cycling the switch too many times, or too quickly, forget which, as it might do a bad thing to the intake heater. Or something.

Is there a chart as to what the flashing lights mean?

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
the '93 and older trucks ALL will give flash codes , key on/off 2 times 3rd time leave it ON . Now the mistake folks make is they PULL up the definitions of those flashes on line or some stuff , THOSE codes are year specific . Not all will have the same meaning for a 1993 as they did for a 90 Hell the sensors in a '93 did not exist in a 90 ...

it will give ya series of flashes with a little longer pause between numbers    flash p a u s e flash flash = 12 in most cases this is battery has been disconnected or loss of power to pcm . at the end it will give 5 rapid flashes followed by  a pause then 5 more rapid flashes = end of codes . your grid heater will shut OFF on the 3rd key on , if it were a gas motor , the asd would shut off the fuel pump and power to coil..... it will switch it back ON only if and when the pcm "see's" a cranking signal ....  ;) 

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
ToxicDoc said:
Yes, but all are non-critical to the running of the engine (unlike EFI/gas) so its a computer for running accessories.

So far, the TPS, ABS, cruise, and grids are a moot point for me. I reference this article regularly when something craps out or become too annoying to continue with.
https://ramchargercentral.com/diesel-talk/'de-computerize-your-dodge'/

·
Super Moderator
14,338 Posts
u2slow said:
Yes, but all are non-critical to the running of the engine (unlike EFI/gas) so its a computer for running accessories.

So far, the TPS, ABS, cruise, and grids are a moot point for me. I reference this article regularly when something craps out or become too annoying to continue with.
https://ramchargercentral.com/diesel-talk/'de-computerize-your-dodge'/
Alternator charging is important. As is being able to shift into OD. You can do what you want with your truck, but he is asking about his.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dodge82273 said:
the '93 and older trucks ALL will give flash codes , key on/off 2 times 3rd time leave it ON . Now the mistake folks make is they PULL up the definitions of those flashes on line or some stuff , THOSE codes are year specific . Not all will have the same meaning for a 1993 as they did for a 90 Hell the sensors in a '93 did not exist in a 90 ...

it will give ya series of flashes with a little longer pause between numbers flash p a u s e flash flash = 12 in most cases this is battery has been disconnected or loss of power to pcm . at the end it will give 5 rapid flashes followed by a pause then 5 more rapid flashes = end of codes . your grid heater will shut OFF on the 3rd key on , if it were a gas motor , the asd would shut off the fuel pump and power to coil..... it will switch it back ON only if and when the pcm "see's" a cranking signal .... ;)
Thanks for all input. The details will help me get the codes and I can go from there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.