Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, i'm toying around with the idea of getting a 203/205 doubler kit and building a doubler t case, my question is, i don't have a trailer or anything to pull it with and still can keep my truck street legal at this point, can a truck with a doubler case still be driven on the street without damage?
shawn

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
yes. you have more moving tcase parts, but as long as they both stay in 2hi they should be fine.

Duane

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
the only time the doubler affects gearing, is when you engage the tcases...just like a single tcase.

You may have to convert the 203 to part time tho...I'm not sure.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah only the range box portion, i've looked for quite a while for a married 205 setup for an auto, and every one i find is really expensive or really far. the kit from offroad design allows you to use a dodge 203 and an chevy 205 which around my dad's house are easy to find. yes i realize the price of the doubler kit, but to me it sounds worth it for the extra low gearing.
shawn

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Yea for the street it would be just normal driving. That is a set up I would like to have but on my RC it isn't really an option because of the short wheelbase and $$ drive shafts that would have to be built, not to mention I don't really want to deal with 2 shifters. The one I have is a big enough pain to deal with now.

·
3,752 Posts
RCC_SaMiaM said:
the 203/205 doubler is suppose to be shorter then a stock 203 I believe.
I think it depends on who's kit you use, the GEN 2 Offroad design is supposed to be the same length as a regular 203, not sure about Wagoner Machines setup.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
drive shaft length is no worry for me, i plan to get some new ones built when i put my lift in, and my truck is long wheel base so i already have a long rear shaft that can stand to loose an inch or 3. been researching/thinking about getting this setup for a counple months and i'm still not totally sure it's what i want yet.
shawn

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
swamthang said:
i build one that is 1in shorter than a stock 203 this one has not been tested yet the one that has been tested is the same lenght as a stock 203 so the ramcharger prob is not a prob
so after reading this post again i have to ask, do you build these kits? or is this a typo, if you do build them, PM me or post your price for this, i'm interested.
shawn

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
here you go this should make this clear. a doubler t-case is a 203 range box mated via a custom adaper and shaft to a 205 transfer case. so like was said you wont have to wory about the case making drive shafts to short. yes i do build these my self my set up cost me 550.00 for every thing that is a rebuilt 203 range box the adaper the shaft and a rebuilt 205. the stock drive shafts i have fit but i will have to change them now that i put in dana 60s

here are some # for you to help out with the gear ratio ?

this is what i have in my truck

np 435 6.69 to 1 1st gear
np 203 1.96 to 1 range box (2 to 1)
np 205 1.96 to 1 low range (2 to 1)
dana 60s with 3.55
for a final low range (crawl ratio) of 94.4
if you dont want super low you can use it in high range for 1.96 to one low range or a final of 47.5 to 1 low range in 2wd or 4wd
or you can shift both into high and drive in high juist like you had a 205 by its self this means you can drive in 2wd or 4wd at any time just unlock the front hubs.

i hope this helps

jason

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
swamthang said:
here you go this should make this clear. a doubler t-case is a 203 range box mated via a custom adaper and shaft to a 205 transfer case. so like was said you wont have to wory about the case making drive shafts to short. yes i do build these my self my set up cost me 550.00 for every thing that is a rebuilt 203 range box the adaper the shaft and a rebuilt 205. the stock drive shafts i have fit but i will have to change them now that i put in dana 60s

here are some # for you to help out with the gear ratio ?

this is what i have in my truck

np 435 6.69 to 1 1st gear
np 203 1.96 to 1 range box (2 to 1)
np 205 1.96 to 1 low range (2 to 1)
dana 60s with 3.55
for a final low range (crawl ratio) of 94.4
if you dont want super low you can use it in high range for 1.96 to one low range or a final of 47.5 to 1 low range in 2wd or 4wd
or you can shift both into high and drive in high juist like you had a 205 by its self this means you can drive in 2wd or 4wd at any time just unlock the front hubs.

i hope this helps

jason
My `86 has `79 t-case and axles, it`s part-time as I`ve installed mile larker hubs(manual) I love it, don`t need the 4 WD that much here, so I only lock them when I need to. Saves a lot of wear and tear. Don`t think I`d need any lower gear ratios. When it`s in 4 LO, It will climb out of just about any hole. My Ferd buddies won`t even go near the hole.

Chris

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
that is true i drove my truck stock (one case) for many years and it would do just about any thing i asked of it. i ran across the" doubler " on the web and thought i could do it cheaper and better now after alot of time and work i did and i love it now to say you need one i would say no because you said you dont do much 4wd stuff . did you do the case too with mile marker or are you not running a 203

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
swamthang said:
that is true i drove my truck stock (one case) for many years and it would do just about any thing i asked of it. i ran across the" doubler " on the web and thought i could do it cheaper and better now after alot of time and work i did and i love it now to say you need one i would say no because you said you dont do much 4wd stuff . did you do the case too with mile marker or are you not running a 203
The 203 is stock.

·
Registered
129 Posts
swamthang, How did you do one yourself, are you a machinist? Which version of 205 was it designed for? When do we get the 'how to' and link for your online sales department :)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
yes me and my uncle i made mine for a dodge 203 and a dodge 205 male male shaft with a coupler just like the 205 came in my diesel i am working on a male to female system to make it stronger and shorter like the chevy 205 case uses i will do a how-to on it as soon as i get this one done we are machining it right now i dont have a online sales dept as of now but i will put contact info in the how-to i started all of this to make them just for me because i knew it could be done for a lot less but i can make them for others sense i have so many people asking for them. i will be doing alot more "dodge parts"

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
swamthang said:
so your front shaft is still turning all the time with power
no, only in hi loc, or lo loc.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts