Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, based on the replies to the 205-208 thread....

if the tcase doubler mates the front half of a 203 to a complete 205, and the 205/208 use the same 727 adapter & output shaft.............

Why can't you put a 208 on the back of the front half of the 203 ?????? and get an even better gear ratio for crawling, and a lighter combo to boot ???????

Or am I just missing something here ??

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok...what am I missign here....the 205 gets it's input from the 203 front half....and so will the 208...so why does it matter ???

it seems to be like it shouldn't make anymore of a differenc eto the rear complete tcase than it does having a 727/435 for the trans

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand the short part.....not so sure i understand the split the 205 part.

I thought the doubler used the front half of a 203 and the whole 205.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not that I know of........didn't see anythign but the tcase bolting to the adapter..nothign looked removeable.

·
Super Moderator
8,452 Posts
If you get a doubler that would mount a Dodge 205 to the 203 range box, you could mount a Dodge 208 or 241 instead of the 205.

One advantage to the 205 is that it can be twin stick operated, the 208 and 241 can not. But I believe the main reason that you wouldn't want to use a 208 or 241 is strength, placed behind the 203's 2:1 low range, the rear transfercase is exposed to double the torque load and shock from the engine and trasmission. The 205 is much stronger and can with stand these loads much easier than the alumunim cased transfercases.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can see that......the twin stick thing isn't as important to me as the gearing.

The strenght thing could be an issue......but the thought of 5.22 - 1 vs 4 - 1 is kinda intriguing.

might work well behind a small blcok, but probably not a big block.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The 208 is longer than the 205. The 208 is NOT as strong as the 205 and with the doubler may not last. I have seen a few(208) blown apart in wrecking yards. I think you would be upset if you blew it apart after driveshaft mods and fabbing an adapter to make it work. You will need a chevy turbo 400 married 205(32 spline) to use with doubler or bore out the dodge case and buy the 32 spline input shaft and larger bearing.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
or find someone who amkes the needed dodge to dodge parts...which I have. Still in testing tho.

·
Super Moderator
8,452 Posts
Stazworks makes a 203/205 doubler kit that uses the Dodge 23 spline 205. I believe that ORD is now listing the Dodge 205 as an option, and I assume they retain the 23 input, but maybe not.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
is the 727 23 spline unit that much weaker than the 32 spline turbo 400 unit?

Duane

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was looking at thr ord site today, and they didn't say anything about the dodge 205, unless you wanted to modify it to use the chebby shaft.

·
Super Moderator
8,452 Posts
TheRamChargerMan said:
I was looking at thr ord site today, and they didn't say anything about the dodge 205, unless you wanted to modify it to use the chebby shaft.
http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/doubler.htm

Hybrid - mix and match GM, Ford and Dodge 203's and GM, Ford and Dodge 205's - $785.
I'm not sure if they require an input shaft change to use the Dodge 205, this is a rather new addition to their site. Maybe it's a response to the cheaper Stazwoks option.

·
5,142 Posts
the chain in the 208 is weaker than the gear drive in the 205, and the chain can strech. The ORD kit only uses the strongest imput on the 205, which is the 32 spline TH400 input. I am sure you can make everything work, but the TH205 is the strongest transfer case to put behind the 203 range box in this application. The overall length of the doubler (gen II ORD) is the same length as the stock 203, so that helps out by elimintating some of the fab work.

Finding a TH400 205 can be hard and expensive, but it is really the best transfercase for the app.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
But Mike, my right foot ain't as heavy as yours.......that has been proven several times now.....lol

·
5,142 Posts
TheRamChargerMan said:
But Mike, my right foot ain't as heavy as yours.......that has been proven several times now.....lol
Good point.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts