Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 76 pickup, the title matches the sticker in the door jamb but the door has been replaced. Does anyone reproduce the door tags?  I had one made for a 1940 pickup a couple years ago but they dont have blanks for the 70’s stuff. Thanks so much

·
Administrator
62,304 Posts
I remember a place, that had replacement door tags for the later trucks that had the VIN on the dash. I don't recall a place for the Early door VIN tags. Since it will come up, I bet there is legal issues on replacing a lost VIN tag. <Many states have procedures that allow swapping VIN tags when restoring, or repairing (Generally only in cases where the dash needs replacing) VIN tags. But lost, or buying a vehicle that does not have one, gets into a very grey area.

I think you need to look into your states laws for lost VIN tags. Especially if the VIN tag shows up somewhere else. Which may easily happen, with many states requiring scrap & junkyards, to list the VIN of every vehicle they have, or passes through their facility.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Buy another truck with a title and matching door w/VIN. Mix & match as required.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
u2slow said:
Buy another truck with a title and matching door w/VIN. Mix & match as required.
Which would be illegal in every state I am aware of and something we do not promote here.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I would not attempt to affix a replacement VIN myself even if I could have one made. Good chance you'd be suspected of VIN tampering/swapping (i.e. illegal) The fasteners get looked at very closely. Government issued VINs (up here at least) are a long-winded application process, and installed for you (not on a door) so there's no future issues.

Elwenil said:
Which would be illegal in every state I am aware of and something we do not promote here.
Depending on the jurisdiction (BC has this) there is an allowance for a certain percentage of the original vehicle may be replaced due to damage, rust, modification, etc. Check your applicable local laws. With parts that do not carry VINs, its difficult (impossible?) to determine originality. May not be a worthwhile route if the OP likes his truck just the way it is.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
Replacing parts is one thing, buying a vehicle specifically to swap the title over is VIN swapping and illegal.  Even the parts swapping deal can be an issue as now in Virginia we have laws that basically state that you have to have proof of ownership of every piece with a VIN so the old deal of just swapping bodies and not worrying about the VIN is long gone.  Even my D250 I cut down to make a trailer has to be "re-certified" because I kept part of the original frame.  I basically have to go through the same process as if I had rebuilt a wrecked vehicle or built a street rod from scratch or a kit.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Elwenil said:
. Even my D250 I cut down to make a trailer has to be "re-certified" because I kept part of the original frame. I basically have to go through the same process as if I had rebuilt a wrecked vehicle or built a street rod from scratch or a kit.
and in rural Tn. it's SO frustrating when you go to the clerks office and have to educate THEM on how to do something more advanced than buying a sticker for your tags. A home built trailer was a hoot!

Reactions: area51

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DODGEBOYS said:
if he shows up its either George or Tony that knows were to get blank plates
Any word from George or Tony ?? I have already looked into all the legal stuff. Dont need anything there.
A reproduction tag is all Im after! Thanks everyone!

·
Administrator
62,304 Posts
mopartrucks said:
Any word from George or Tony ?? I have already looked into all the legal stuff. Dont need anything there.
A reproduction tag is all Im after! Thanks everyone!
I'm George. I know, and have run across a loot of stuff Dodge truck related, but have not run across anyone making the blanks. I would search Mopar car restoration places & forums, might find a car one close enough to fool the average joe.

IF you have researched the laws, then you know how your state goes about missing VIN's. I'm sure their answer is not to go out and buy a replacement tag. Even back in the day, Dodge would not sell you a replacement.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Here in CA, the CHP has to do an inspection and affix a metal replacement tag on the door jamb.

I bought a truck a few years ago. It was a 1970 but was title was a 1973. Looking a little closer, there was a space on the title for "First year titled" or something like that. I could tell someone at the DMV had made an error and owners before me never worried about correcting it. Well, it wasn't something that they could just "fix". So California Highway Patrol had to inspect it, matching up frame, engine (thank goodness no swap), and other VIN tag (which matched all characters on the title). Cross referenced it for stolen vehicles and found no problem. What finally convinced him was at the end of the seatbelts was a sewn on tag for 1970 on all of them. After all of that, he still wouldn't update the paperwork but instead riveted a new metal inspection tag in the jamb and sent me back to DMV to process updated paperwork and tagging.

Yes, California has too much BS and red tape but that's not the point. Real experience suggests that this isn't as easy as finding a new door sticker.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.