Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 88' Ramcharger that cannot be unlocked from the outside of the driver door, and has a tailgate lock that doesn't work at all. Would it be best to just buy cheap replacement locks from autozone for the doors, and try to fix the tailgate myself, or take it to a locksmith and see what they can do with them?

·
Registered
29,359 Posts
been here tried that / the tail gate lock is a sealed unit and cant be rekeyed

·
Registered
24 Posts
I also have the same problem on my 86 the tailgate lock worked for the first 3 months and now it wont lock at all i cant even put the key in it. Not trying to steal the thread but i do want to see where this goes.

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
The liftgate lock is an AMC style lock and I agree with Dodgeboys, as far as I know cannot be re-keyed.  If it's the original lock to the truck you could get the key codes from the dealership, though a lot of times on older models they can only provide the ignition code, if anything.  You should be able to take the liftgate lock to a good locksmith and get a key made for it.  As for the door locks, since the ignition and front doors all use the same key you can take the lock cylinder itself and have it coded to the keys you have, replace each lock individually and just deal with separate identical looking keys for each lock or replace all three and have them use the same key as original.

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
Yes, the liftgate takes a AMC style RA-4 key blank which goes into the lock with the teeth down like a GM key, which is unlike any other Chrysler key.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The driver door could be easy to fix, open it up and find the bar going from the lock to the lock motor, the little plastic clip holding it there could have been broken. (happened in my passenger door)
I got some of these from vatozone and just popped it in.

69 Posts
Doesnt the glove compartment take the  same key as the tailgate? Im also reading conflicting statements? Can I get my tailgate lock re-keyed or not?

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
tailgate lock, replace whole mechanism, or get a good locksmith to make a new key, not the same as a rekey where the lock internals are made to match the new key, the new key has to be made to match the existing tumbler.

69 Posts
Doesnt the glove compartment take the  same key as the tailgate? Im also reading conflicting statements? Can I get my tailgate lock re-keyed or not?

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
NiceCaptures said:
Doesnt the glove compartment take the same key as the tailgate? Im also reading conflicting statements? Can I get my tailgate lock re-keyed or not?
Yeah. I did get it done by a local locksmith.

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
The glove box does NOT use the same key as the liftgate.  The glove box uses the typical round head Chrysler trunk key, the liftgate uses a AMC style key that is very similar to a GM key.

69 Posts
Ohh wow. Im guessing a locksmith knows this? Damn... then I wont have a key for the glovebox even when I do get a tailgate key!

G

·
I took the hatch tumbler to my local locksmith; he was able to tell what kind of key it used by looking up a number stamped on the tumbler.  It took him about 2 minutes and I paid him $5.

I don't know if the same procedure would work with the doors or the glovebox.

69 Posts
$30 for an old style key... Wow. I called 2 lock service companies in my area today. One place told me $12 but they were just too busy because they were mainly an "emergency service"... the other told me $20 but he too was very busy & was to call me back... which he never did.
I did get lucky & found a VIP car in with the owners manual that said... "If you ever have trouble & need new keys... here's the key numbers..." Ive never seen such a card before...lol

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
The cards were a courtesy deal done by a lot of dealers.  When delivered all Chrysler products had a metal tag with the keys that had the key code stamped on it.  Now days you can just call the dealer, give them your VIN number and they can look it up on computer to see what the key codes are.  It can go pretty far back so it's still an option for some.  I know when I was a Parts Advisor at the dealer in '06, I could still run my '88 Ramcharger and find out some info on it.  I don't think I have ever seen the liftgate lock code listed though so it may be a bust for that.  With the fact that almost no dealers today even know how to use a key code cutter and you may still need to take whatever codes you can get to a locksmith.

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
Yup, that's typical of the codes.  Those are also printed on the invoice for the car that the dealer receives though few people ever get to see those.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts