Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been trying to figure out something for my door panels. Mine are junk and so is everything I’ve seen.
Major cracks and holes, warpage, and broken mounts.
Has anyone figured out a similar panel or custom aftermarket that fits?

·
Premium Member
7,305 Posts
When I was working on my RC, I made a pair of diamond plate aluminum panels. It's not too difficult to make, but if I could weld aluminum, I would make nice matching arm rests and/or some sort of cover over the door latch.

When I was in my early 20s and had a Ford F150, I made a pair of wood panels, that turned out really nice. Stained them, and varnished over them. I wanted to router "Ford" emblems into the door, but never got that far.

Ed

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not sure about what interchanges between the ramcharger and the lil red but when looking for interior parts for a 70s truck the only thing I can find is lil red stuff
I always hawk this site https://www.dodgeconnection.com/CustomerParts.html

You're right though, its absolutely impossible to find anything that isnt cracked, torn or warped. Best of luck in your search.

·
Super Moderator
14,344 Posts
Some guy on eBay had fiberglass reproductions that are pretty good. I have them in my truck. Don't know if they're still available.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Factory early 70s steel. Paint them, install them, do nothing else. Nothing to break, etc.

·
Super Moderator
8,453 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’ve thought about trying my hand at making some nice durable molds, and figuring out how to fabricate some. Not sure what direction to take, as I leg I went through the trouble, I’d try to get good enough at it that I could make a buck doing it.
There’s a lot of first gems out there I would assume have the same problem, and would like a modernized strong upgrade. Just unsure if I could make something that would work and hold up as I have no experience with fiverglass.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I paid dearly for a nice set of metal ones for my 72 with armrests and handles. That was after I paid dearly for a mint set of black plastic ones. Ignorance is expensive.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I wonder if enough of us emailed lmc truck about reproducing them, they might consider the expense vs demand. My driver side panel is trashed, lmc does make reproduction arm rests for 1st gens.

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
LMC doesn't make anything, they resell what's out there.

Repop door panels and dashes were available years ago as were many patch panels that are no longer around. I don't see the market being big enough for any of it to be made again.

·
Super Moderator
14,344 Posts
I just looked. There are good-condition used and the shorty fiberglass ones I mentioned on eBay. Prices have gone up a good bit I see.

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
TurboRev said:
https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/ has a lot of hard to find and vintage OEM Mopar parts and accessories that you can't find anywhere else. Their prices are great and they ship quick. Hope this helps
The furthest they go back is '84 on the trucks.
I'd sure like a line on the early 70's steel panels or the fiberglass one's I have in my '74.
They're the ones that are the most durable.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
At this point I’ve thought about just aluminum/chrome diamond plate and bolt the armrest to it.
I don’t need numbers matching original, but I don’t want to get too tacky lookin either.

It seems the originals are pretty crack/damage prone. Every one I’ve dug through is junk.
I got that one dudes number who has a few sets, but I’m out of money for a couple months so I’ll have to live with it.
Bought a $3000 Amish table and chairs for the family, $3400 into a new snow blower, $1200 in Christmas presents and 550 into a new recliner because my old ones trashed.
Now I’m desperately awaiting a tax return before the bank finds out what I done-did. xD

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Rabbit929 said:
At this point I've thought about just aluminum/chrome diamond plate and bolt the armrest to it.
I don't need numbers matching original, but I don't want to get too tacky lookin either.

It seems the originals are pretty crack/damage prone. Every one I've dug through is junk.
I got that one dudes number who has a few sets, but I'm out of money for a couple months so I'll have to live with it.
Bought a $3000 Amish table and chairs for the family, $3400 into a new snow blower, $1200 in Christmas presents and 550 into a new recliner because my old ones trashed.
Now I'm desperately awaiting a tax return before the bank finds out what I done-did. xD
Well at least the Amish are thriving. ;D

·
Premium Member
7,305 Posts
I would probably shy away from fiberglass reproduction door panels. Sure they are probably very durable, but the idea of doctors having to dig out shards of fiberglass from my left side or left leg, if the unthinkable t-bone occurs, kinda turns me off.

As mentioned, I made a pair of diamond plate panels for my RC and I thought they looked great, especially when polished to a mirror-like shine. If you need further inspiration, just do a search for diamond plate door panels, and you'll see a bunch of them -of course few if any will be on trucks like ours, but you'll still get an idea of how they would look…

Ed

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.