Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all. something is wrong with my passenger side door lock on my 78. the key goes about an inch in and then will not budge any further. i have tried graphite lubricant, but lubrication is not the problem, the key stops dead. is there any way to fix this? to replace it would i have to get a new key? any help is appreciated...thanks.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Yeah, sounds like a pin fell out, or someone might have broken off a jiggler or something in it..

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
not wanting to start a new topic and sorry to hijack, but would anyone know why my drivers door and tailgate wont lock? The knob will turn but just wont lock. the passenger side does...

·
7,995 Posts
Pholom said:
not wanting to start a new topic and sorry to hijack, but would anyone know why my drivers door and tailgate wont lock? The knob will turn but just wont lock. the passenger side does...
I would guess that the drivers door may have a rod thats disconnected or broken lock. The rear hatch sounds like you may have a problem internal to the handle.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so how would i go about taking the door lock off, or could i just give them the truck and have them fix it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
its super easy on these old truck, pull panel, reach in there is a slide on clip holding the cylinder in the door, remove it and the cylinder will come right out. With a little turning you can disconnect the rod, done

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Actually, it's even easier than that.. ;D ;D On the latch side of the door is a plastic grille.. Pop that out and the lock cylinder is right there. The rods are held on by plastic or metal locking clips. You snap the clip off the rod, the pull the rod out. (Maybe Steve has a picture of these) Make sure you don't drop it, because it will fall off when the rod comes out.

Matt {peace}

·
Registered
172 Posts
try putting the key in the lock at an angle (pointing the tip of the key down), then when stops, tilt it back up. my drivers lock does the same thing sometimes. that's my work-around until i can have it rebuilt.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
TaZMaNiaK said:
Actually, it's even easier than that.. ;D ;D On the latch side of the door is a plastic grille.. Pop that out and the lock cylinder is right there. The rods are held on by plastic or metal locking clips. You snap the clip off the rod, the pull the rod out. (Maybe Steve has a picture of these) Make sure you don't drop it, because it will fall off when the rod comes out.

Matt {peace}
That feature didn't start till the 80's.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Damned near all of the locks on my '88 would not let the key in the lock when I first bought it. You might try using some penetrating oil first before pulling the "sticky" locks. The graphite, even though it's the proper thing to use, wasn't getting in far enough to do much good. All my locks now work fine. I shot it into the key hole, and into the back of the locks, too (remove the plastic plug / cover on the back edge of the door to do this).
John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts