Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already posted this in vehicle help, but figured I'll give it a shot in here as well.

It turns over so it's not the altenator or battery, they do their parts. You can even hear the fuel pump engaging. But the engine won't even attempt running unless I have my foot on the gas. I just changed the oil, has oil. Fluids are all fine. I have to pump the gas and then it will rev and run but it cuts out. After six tries yesterday I finally got it to run for a minute flat so I threw it in reverse and went and once it was out on the road running it ran fine. Everytime after that when I started it, ran fine.

Today I go out, same thing. Granted, it's been slightly colder out in the mornings. Today was rainy. So my father assumed something got wet and that was why, but yesterday it was dry out. I tried over 20 times today and it wouldn't even stay running long enough to get it in reverse to go. Come back 4 hours later, tried 5 times and finally got it long enough to throw it in reverse and it went. Then ran fine after and started right up both times I tried from then on out.

However, I did notice, I have very - very potent exhaust. Not like rotten eggs or anything, a normal exhaust smell just very strong. I guess its running very rich but I don't know what that means. ???

·
Registered
588 Posts
i'm sorry to hear that, any vehicle not operating when you need it isn't fun at all.
i've got a few ideas, but i'm no master mechanic.
if it is cranking fine, then it has to be at the distributer foward, maybe cracked or wet cap? or possibly the plugs have gotten corroded real bad.
but since you say it seems to be rich, that must be not enough air coming it, or too much fuel. you said you had to floor it to get it started, so maybe you flooded it and that's why you got the rich smell, too much unburnt gas coming out. if that is the case, i'd look at the air cleaner (do you have the stock one or an open element) check to see if there are any leaves, sticks, holes, or any other problems with the air cleaner (both the duct to the element, or the actually element itself) hopefully there wwill be somehting obvious in there which is blocking the air from coming it at all well and that will cure it
good luck and let us know what happens!

·
Registered
588 Posts
i just thought of something. i posted this in vehicle help too so you would see it either place. i had an 85 monte carlo ss and i remember having the same problem. it was very hard to start, then very choppy with lots of smoke out the back, and i had to keep on the gas to keep it running. but mine didn't even go fine after that. while driving it kept surging then bogging real bad, lots of smoke out the back and stuff. as it got worse (over a week) it started stalling almost constantly while driving. i had no idea what was up. but it turns out it just needed a tune up. it was a carb so not perfect, but much better after that. so if my strange "newbie mechanic" logic is confusing you from the last post, just see if it needs a tune up (or just have it done if you haven't had one recently, can't hurt)

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
My RC had the same problems raven described with his monte. The RC needed a tune up and I also needed a new O2 sensor and temp sensors, been running fine ever since.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yesterday is started on the second try but I had to hit the gas too (and no, i didn't floor it like you mentioned earlier) but I still had to take it for a spin around the block and then let it sit, otherwise it would cut out if I just let it sit without driving it. Today, it started on the second try as well and it stayed idling without taking it for a drive. Maybe something is passing through the system.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
throttle body injected

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I don't know whether you have this thing fixed or not, but I have had other vehicles do the same thing when there was water in the gas, but I would imagine by now if that was the case it would be fine :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts