Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, gotta coupla ?s for yas to answer if yous can..
As you all know, I own a VERY picky 1979 Dodge with a 360, I recently had to yank the manifold off so I could replace the gaskets which were pretty much toast. But ne ways I was sitting in the engine bay on the truck today, cleaning, and was looking at the huge diagnostic plug in thingy, and was wondering if it still worked, and how I could find out, and if I really needed it. I checked the entire truck for a computer, but the closest thing I could find was the ignition control box. So how does the damn thing work? ??? just curious, I love picking at my truck, it's part of my never-ending quest to see how it all works (almost there!!).

Also, when I cleaned my manifold (it's a 4brrl, btw), I noticed a couple of the ports were closed off with this black sooty junk that chipped when I picked at it with a screwdriver. What are they? Do I need to open them, or were they part of the emissions crap? They also were all blocked on the heads, I think. Lemme know if I need to or not, and thanks. Laters
Matt

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
the pluged ports are emissions crap. 79's didnt have computers ... i have no idea what your talking about on a diag port on that year Wyatt

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
sorry to hijack...but do 85's have diagnostic ports?

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Where is this 'diagnostic port' located on the engine?

-SM

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
It's not on the engine. It is a test port on the drivers side fender. You do not need it. In fact, if you trace the wires from it out, and cut them off at their destination, then remove them, you will rid the engine compartment of over half the wires in there. I did.

The ports that were plugged, are most likely the heat cross over passages. They are not really needed, but, if you live in cold climates, you should clean them out in both the intake and the heads. They will prevent carb icing on cold humid days because they let exhaust gases heat the intake and carb.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool. Now does anyone know of a good cleaner that will cut thru that crap, or am I going to have to borrow my friends Dremel? Also, today, I noticed a plug of some sorts in my manifold, which I took out, but it left a huge gaping hole inside my manifold. Do I need to plug this too,or no? Hey Chump, maybe you could post a picture of my manifold online, and show me what I need to plug and what I don't? Please help!! Thanks y'all

1 - 7 of 7 Posts