Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK-Heres my question. I have two gear boxes off of late 70 early 80 chebbies. I had just bought a new box for my 87 ram charger but I do believe it is bad. Taking it back is not an option. Looking at the boxes side to side they look identical in all aspects BUT is there a difference. Everything is new and tight on the RC but it still feels like I am riding on marshmellows going down the road-Any advice on the gear boxes?

·
Registered
29,688 Posts
they are same same boxes BUT the differences are the input and output spline counts/ phord/chevy/DODGE all use the NP-NV 435-445 trannys

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BOGGER35 said:
they are same same boxes BUT the differences are the input and output spline counts/ phord/chevy/DODGE all use the NP-NV 435-445 trannys
I should have been more specific-I am talking about the steering gear box. I only wish I had the NP435 tranny.

Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For anyone who cares. You can use a chebbie steering gear box. 3 things I had to modify. The splines where the steering shaft attached will need to be modified. I use the original on the chebbie and attached it to the dodge. Same with the steering arm-it will need to be modified. Pretty simple if you have fabrication skills. You will also need new hoses. Chebbie uses flared while dodge use o-ring. These are what I found on the box. It bolts to the frame and will work.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DODGEBOYS said:
l should have caught the marshmellow comment
Thats OK-the tranny use to shift like it had marshmellows in it at one time and the t-case may still have marshmellows in it ;D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts