Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a 94 dodge spirit to use as a commuter car.2.5L 4 cylinder and an automatic transmission, it runs and drives and doesn't have any noticeable problems other than the passenger side wiper transmission is stripped.

My problem is it is so bland and boring to drive I can't stand it.Its the first "appliance" car I ever bought.Everything else has been fast,cool, unique, or just fun to drive.So naturally most of my vehicles over the years would struggle to get better than 20 mpg on the highway.My 87 dakota is more fun and engaging to drive with all the various quirks it has.Even though it doesn't make any power it sounds decent at mid to upper rpms.The spirit on the other hand everything about it could be described as "meh".

As it sits now I would rather commute in my dakota that gets 10 MPG and runs on 89 with its carbed 3.9, than commute in the 30 mpg spirit because quite simply it has no spirit.

Before I put the car on craigslist is there anything I could do to get more driving pleasure out of it?I love driving, but a couple minutes behind the wheel and I would much rather be doing anything else.

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
You should have gotten the R/T:

Honestly, it was pretty "meh" as well. Probably the only real "pocket rocket" from that era was the 3.0L V6 P Body but pretty much everything Mopar made in those years handled like a box with the exception of the Neon and the Viper.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I should fix the 78 plymouth arrow(mitsubishi) and drive that.It might be a bit more fun to drive because at least it has a stick.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
The most fun to be had in the Spirit will be standing in front of the gas pump. Give it a chance, I went from my [email protected] to a bare bones Shadow that I filled up once a month.  It's been gone for some time now but I liked the mpg.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The sensible side of me tells me MPG is good.The other side says life is far too short to drive boring cars.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I want to be in the right lane when the sprit blows by me at 142mph like the brochure says...a safe distance of course. That's moving at a pretty good clip-I would have never guessed it could get to that speed.

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
Remember why you bought the car and that you only paid $300 for it.  Not everything has to be "fun", some vehicles are just basic transportation.  For $300, I'd be glad it makes it from point A to point B and back.  You bought it for the mileage, and "Fun" is usually counterproductive to MPG.  Just maintain it and hope it lasts long enough for you to be able to afford something more fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.