Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope that one of you may be able to help me.

I own a 1976 Dodge Power Wagon 7.2L 440 cid V8 here in the UK and require a new column mount ignition switch.

The chassis / VIN number is W144BD6S265421 and I believe it's a W100 model.

I have ordered a replacement from Rock Auto, picture attached, but am a bit nervous/clueless about wiring it in.

My original (pictures attached) has five terminal wire connections whereas the replacement part appears to have six connections although the rest of the unit body etc looks identical to mine. The wiring colours are also different.

Can anyone tell me which colour wire on the new unit connects to which colour wire currently on my old one?

Also can i assume that one of the six wires on the new unit is for a function I don't have on my truck (so can be left unconnected) and, if so, which colour wire is that?

I should say at this point that I'm a home mechanic and electrics always take me out of my comfort zone so I'm pretty nervous about the new switch!

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
29,684 Posts
read links

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much, thats really helpfull.

So is anyone able to tell me which colour wire on the new switch connects to which colour wire on the old switch ....

·
Administrator
60,704 Posts
Three of them are in the right position on the connector. The other two, Dodge bypassed the connector due to load/ heat issues. They should match up color for color.

·
Super Moderator
14,084 Posts
If you align the switches next to each other, you should be able to tell which colour was changed

·
Administrator
60,704 Posts
Whats wrong with yours? Many times, the issue is at the plastic connector, not the switch itself. Look along the column, for signs of melted wires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good advice.

To be honest I'm not sure it is the starter. Basically she suddenly stopped running and would'nt restart, completely dead. Checked all the obvious things and decided it must be the ignition switch. Saying that it it then crossed my mind that it might be the neutral safety switch or a slightly erratic BM Shifter thats in her ... was already deep into the steering column when that thought struck me! Only get to work on her at the weekends so haven't had chance to explore further and, due to shipping times for parts, thought I'd keep on the ignition switch line to rule it out.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Where in the UK are you? My in-laws live in Romford.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I recently had a no-start condition on my '77. Found out the bolt that attaches my shift linkage to the transmission was loose so the shifter was loose. Then the neutral safety switch didn't think I was in Park.

Did you try crossing the poles on the starter relay? Or running a power wire straight to the starter solenoid?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's a good thought about the linkage, also crossed my mind too late ...

No, I didn't try running the power direct, stupid I know, but this happened to me on a truck a number of years ago, was the ignition switch, so I thought 'here I go again' and didn't pause to think the problem out throughly enough before diving in!

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
That's a good thought about the linkage, also crossed my mind too late ...

No, I didn't try running the power direct, stupid I know, but this happened to me on a truck a number of years ago, was the ignition switch, so I thought 'here I go again' and didn't pause to think the problem out throughly enough before diving in!
That is why fate brought you here. Welcome aboard!
I recently spoke with a guy on here from England as well. I don't recall where he said he was from. So you have Ramcharger friends close by!

·
Registered
29,684 Posts
if you LOOK there are plenty of UE members . they aint down the street but close enuf [ the main guy is "albuchian" Eike dont shoot me for spelling it wrong ] and any of the "panda" dudes [ l aint figured that one out yet ]

SO / lets start [ pun] over and figure this out / l,ll post diagrams and you download them and then l,ll delete them

·
Registered
29,684 Posts
now do like the diagram says , or basically power the "brown" wire to the starter by either jumping the solenoid or a power wire from the Battery postive / if it turns over stop and we will do the next step

1 - 20 of 29 Posts