Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if 5-lug Dodge outers will swap onto Chevy knuckles? Dodge and Chevy both have 6-bolt spindles right?

Also, anyone know if Dodge knuckles will swap onto a Chevy 44/10-bolt?

The reason I ask is because I want to get rid of the vaccuum disconnect D44 under my '87 Ramcharger but possibly keep the 5-lug pattern and swap a 9"out back (for a strong 5-lug axle without c-clips).

'80-84 non-disco Dana44 fronts are getting harder and harder to find and I'm looking for alternatives. At this point in time I don't see me running bigger than a 35" tire with mild/medium wheelin' , so no reason to upgrade to a Dana60 for at least a few years until the money is right.

Stock Dodge D44/D60 3/4 ton axles are an option also, if I can find them. Bolt-in would be nice.

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
Don't forget the Dodge '72-'79 front axles as well.  '72-'74 are mainly drum brakes, but if you are swapping hubs this is not an issue.  Similarly, the fulltime knuckles and hubs on the '75-'79 axles won't matter if you are swapping knuckles out.  The stuff will most likely swap to a GM axle, though the last thing I would do is swap in a 10 bolt.  If you stay with a Dodge axle, you won't have to deal with bowing the front springs around to get the axle to fit.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Elwenil said:
Don't forget the Dodge '72-'79 front axles as well. '72-'74 are mainly drum brakes, but if you are swapping hubs this is not an issue. Similarly, the fulltime knuckles and hubs on the '75-'79 axles won't matter if you are swapping knuckles out. The stuff will most likely swap to a GM axle, though the last thing I would do is swap in a 10 bolt. If you stay with a Dodge axle, you won't have to deal with bowing the front springs around to get the axle to fit.
Thanks,

I wasn't sure about the full-time 4wd front D44's being the same as the later models from the housing C's-in. Same with the drum-brake D44's from the early 70's.

If I were to swap in a Chevy axle I'd move the spring perches to line up with the Dodge springs. I want the springs to have their full , natural range of motion.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Yep everything will swap but if you are wanting to use the Chevy knuckles then the distance between the rotor and backing plate may be different and not allow you to use the caliaper. But if you are swapping the Dodge knuckles and all onto the Chevy then that will work but you will still have tierod issues because Dodge and Chevy use different size tierod ends and Chevy housings are wider also. Like Elwenil has stated, you would be better off finding a D44 from a 75 to 79 Dodge to swap them to.. The spring sperches on the Dodge are futher apart than a Chevy is so you would have to pull the springs closer together to bolt the Chevy in..

I'm doing almost the same thing on a 78 except I'm using Chevy knuckles with Ford hubs and rotors with the 5.5 bolt pattern, I have already found new backing plates made for the Chevy knuckle, Ford hub and rotor setup. The reason I'm going with Chevy knuckles is they use larger tierod ends.. I did'nt want to ream out the dodge knuckles to fit the larger ends making the metal thinner around the holes once reamed..

CB6675-L D44 CALIPER SUPPORT BRACKET 1972-91
GM - D44/10 BOLT CALIPER SUPPORT BRACKET 1972-91 - UNIVERSAL FOR USE WITH FORD 5 ON 5.5 HUB/ROTOR DISC BRAKE CONVERSIONS

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
The problem with moving the perches on a front axle is the one is machined into the center section.  You can move the one welded to the tube on the other side, but that would simply shift the axle to one side in the truck.  With GM front axles, you wither have to bow the springs in, do a lot of complicated work to the front axle to move the perches that basically make the whole thing not worth it or move the spring mounts on the frame which is also so much work it's not worth it.  Especially when you can find a Dodge D44 front axle for less than $100 in most places.  The only issue is gearing and how much it costs to swap them if needed.  I've had a '74 D44HD with 4.10s and drum brakes than I haven't been able to sell since it would cost more than it's worth to ship it and I'll most likely scrap it.  I'm sure there are a lot of other people with D44 axles in similar situations that will sell one for a decent price that would certainly be worth it rather than trying to move perches and springs around on the front.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
440 PWXPRESS said:
I'm doing almost the same thing on a 78 except I'm using Chevy knuckles with Ford hubs and rotors with the 5.5 bolt pattern, I have already found new backing plates made for the Chevy knuckle, Ford hub and rotor setup. The reason I'm going with Chevy knuckles is they use larger tierod ends.. I did'nt want to ream out the dodge knuckles to fit the larger ends making the metal thinner around the holes once reamed..

CB6675-L D44 CALIPER SUPPORT BRACKET 1972-91
GM - D44/10 BOLT CALIPER SUPPORT BRACKET 1972-91 - UNIVERSAL FOR USE WITH FORD 5 ON 5.5 HUB/ROTOR DISC BRAKE CONVERSIONS

Thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Elwenil said:
The problem with moving the perches on a front axle is the one is machined into the center section. You can move the one welded to the tube on the other side, but that would simply shift the axle to one side in the truck. With GM front axles, you wither have to bow the springs in, do a lot of complicated work to the front axle to move the perches that basically make the whole thing not worth it or move the spring mounts on the frame which is also so much work it's not worth it. Especially when you can find a Dodge D44 front axle for less than $100 in most places. The only issue is gearing and how much it costs to swap them if needed. I've had a '74 D44HD with 4.10s and drum brakes than I haven't been able to sell since it would cost more than it's worth to ship it and I'll most likely scrap it. I'm sure there are a lot of other people with D44 axles in similar situations that will sell one for a decent price that would certainly be worth it rather than trying to move perches and springs around on the front.
What exactly is the perch width difference between most Dodge front D44's and Chevy D44's?

Regardless, I'm likeing the idea of a Dodge front axle more and more for the simplicity.

Thanks again for the feedback

1 - 8 of 8 Posts