Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I got this 1978 W150 I have been working on restoring now this has a moon/sun roof what ever it is it does not open just sits there anyhow I want to remove this could I take a flanging tool after it is out and put a flange around the opening then use panel adhesive and glue a piece of sheet metal in then either lead the seam or use plastic body filler to make the area flat then prime and paint over it. What other options are there for dealing with this ugly hole?

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
It should be possible, though I would probably weld it.  I'd look closely at it as factory sunroofs were available, and if that is one that is just glued shut, it may be worth preserving.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This does not open I think it is an after market job that from what I was told and it leaks. I thought somewhere I read that dodge done a moon roof but I think it opened not sure. Now every place I look about welding in this panel is do not weld the top you will be sorry as it will warp it no matter how slow you go it will warp now once again I do not know this to be true but that is one reason I came here as every time I have had a question this site solved it for me

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
Any large panel will warp with welding but you can keep it to a minimum with various tricks, small stitch welds, clay to absorb heat, etc.  To a certain extent flanging the panel will also cause warping, particularly in the corners.  It all depends on how you want to deal with finishing the work off.  I'm old school and still don't trust adhesives.  ;D

·
Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
7,186 Posts
If it's a factory sunroof, that's a pretty rare option and is worth replacing. I remember seeing OEM replacements somewhere but now I forget. If it's an aftermarket "goof roof" (as we used to call them) I would remove it and weld in a new patch. The only problem is that the inner roof has bodylines throughout. You should look for a junker and cut out the section you need for that job or else it will look the shits from inside. JMO.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Never seen a factory moon roof in real life.  Hell didn't even know they existed until I bought original brochures from the 70's off ebay.  If it is factory, keep it.  It will be unique and probably one of the few you will ever see. If you do patch it, go super slow when welding.  The roof can be very very thin metal and more than likely it is very thin because of the years your truck has on it (40 years!). 

Best of luck.  Also do you have any pics? We would probably all enjoy seeing it to determine if its factory or not.

Thanks,

Neil

·
Super Moderator
2,156 Posts
I don't do metal work but I'm almost thinking that with a p/u it would be easier to cut the roof off at the post seams and transplant a donor. Weld the posts rather than the roof skin. See also double wall construction so you'd actually be welding 2 skins. Easiest fix might just be climb up in the bed with a caulk gun and seal it up tight. Willing to bet it doesn't open because that's already been done and it leaks because it was done badly and / or some of the sealant has gone poof.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the advice as soon as ot stops raining as I am out on the Oregon coast where it rains and if it's not give it 10 minutes maybe not that bad but sure seems like it sometimes. I will for sure send some photos so maybe someone can give input as to factory or add on

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have a factory sun roof on my Trail duster. They look like they are aftermarket. The roof was not designed for the option. I thought it was aftermarket, until I found it in the Plymouth parts catalog. I had mine glued shut for a while. If you remove yours and you have any good hinge or latch hardware, I may be interested in buying it. Post a picture.
Steve

·
Registered
342 Posts
Mopar sunroof option from my 74-78 Plymouth parts catalog.

Same sunroof in my Trail Duster.

Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.