Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bougt a pair of axles from a 73 international44 front 60 rear with the intension of using both of them under my 72 dodge but turns out the gears were bad in the rear so ive decided to just use the posi from the rear in an 3/4 ton dana 60 i have from a 78 for the rear i also have the front 44 from the 78 which has full time 4wd i don't like the full time idea so i was thinking that if i take every thing outward from the universal off the international front 44 and use it on the 78 full time dodge axle that way i have lockouts and disk brakes i know that gives me 2 lug patterns but i'm ok there i just scored a pair of 8 lug 15 inch wheels off ebay does anybody have any info on if this will work and is the international stuff very hard to get parts for ???

·
Registered
397 Posts
international parts arent too hard to get ..try napa

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
PLEASE USE SOME PUNCTUATION!!!!! man that was hard to read. now i have a question. u mentioned that u would have 2 different lug patterns. why? are the axles from the IH 5 lug?

Duane

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Are the Dana 60's full floating or semi-floating?

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
i wouldnt bother swapping in a semi floating 60.

Duane

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
CLRracer said:
i wouldnt bother swapping in a semi floating 60.

Duane
Its cool that its semi floating and that you can keep the 5 lugs. Like i said in another thread the SF Dana 60 can't be a whole lot stronger then a 9 1/4. They use the same axle shaft size and I've never really heard of anyone breaking the ring gear on either axle so the only really strength difference would be inthe bearings. Not worth the effort in my mind.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes I saw where you guys debated on that, my opion is that the dana is stronger, but I do agree that the 9 1/4 is a very strong axle and dont know why it is'nt more common in high performance applications since they're so plentiful .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts