Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Hei Distributor off of E-Bay from a guy in California and it looks very nice.  We intend to install it this weekend and were wondering if anyone had an opinion of where to get the 12 volt source?  I plan to use the power wire that goes to the ballast resistor but thought if someone had a better suggestion that would be great.

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
It should be the ballast source wire.  No reason not to use it.  it is already switched and in the ignition circuit.  Just remove the ballast and you have 12 volts.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was my thought process but wondered if there was a better way.  I will let everyone know how this works out.  Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
6,581 Posts
here's what i did to disable my stock electronic ignition and power my GM TBI with ECM controlled spark setup, because the HEI distributor (with built in coil) is an all-in-one ignition setup.if it has the built-in module as well

I disconnected the 5pin connector to the module (in my case the orange box yours may be blue) and disconnected the connector with the pink wire(s) to the ballast resistor. I ran a jumper with a male tube connector to the red wire female pin of the 5pin connector and a male flat/spade connector to the pink wire ballast resistor connector. then i tapped into the red wire of the module 5pin connector to connect to my ECM.

you could do this a number of ways as long as you tap into a switched/IGN 12v (true 12 volts) circuit to power the coil. if you just disconnect the pink wire on the ballast resistor and tap into that you will interrupt your IGN circuit and have no power to the coil. I went through that.

if your HEI distributor does not have the built-in module you will need to leave your stock module intact but disable your resistor since the HEI does not require one. this means you will have to unplug the pink wire on the resistor and run a jumper from it to a splice into the red wire on the 5pin connector as well, then you could use your existing + terminal wire on the factory coil to connect to the + terminal for the HEI coil

·
Registered
6,581 Posts
the reason i did it this way is to 1) bypass the stock ignition and 2)keep everything in a return-to-stock state if i need to.  i would recommend using electric tape to weatherproof the connector (5pin) though as i plan too.

here's a picture that should help:

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts