Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my brother inlaw has a AMC 360 and i was wondering if the parts are interchangable with the Dodge 360?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Nope.. Completely different animal

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
The amc is more in touch with a ford design motor

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Evildriver-3 said:
i wouldn't quite agree with that. the amc 360 is it's own beast and is from a long line of amc engines including the 290 to 304, 343 to 360, and 390 to 401. none of which are ford influences. btw, should you happen to come across an amc 401 with no holes in the block, chances are that it is damn near worth it's weight in gold to the amc/jeep crowd.

further, read this:
The heads were also changed in 1970. 1966-1969 heads have rectangular exhaust ports. 1970 and later heads have a "dog leg" or "pork chop" shaped exhaust port, sort
of like this: __
| |__
|___ |

The larger port increased exhaust flow by around 30%, making AMC heads the best flowing production heads available. For this reason the Chrysler "Magnum" V8 head was based on the AMC design. The new ports also required new exhaust manifolds.

Ouch...the Magnum V8 heads were based on the AMC design. I guess Mopar and AMC/Jeep are more closely related than I even thought.

Also, since Mopar owns all the rights to AMC engines, the original test engine for the Dodge Viper was a supercharged AMC 401. Like I said, if you come across one of those old 401s, buy it, steal it, do what ever you have to do to get your hands on it.

Mike

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also would like to know did dodge put the 4.0 liter INLINE SIX in Ramchargers? If so how well did they do?

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
slayer666 said:
I also would like to know did dodge put the 4.0 liter INLINE SIX in Ramchargers? If so how well did they do?
No.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
there were oddities where slant sixes were rumored to have been installed but never a 4.0. the slant had lots of torque and did well in trucks but the weight of a rc i wouldnt think it would be a great performer in stock form. nor would i expect the 4.0 jeep to be too great in a heavy application. alhough it does pretty darn good in a jeep ;D

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
J10Mike said:
Evildriver-3 said:
i wouldn't quite agree with that. the amc 360 is it's own beast and is from a long line of amc engines including the 290 to 304, 343 to 360, and 390 to 401. none of which are ford influences.
Really, so the dist in the front, the valve layout, just like the ford head makes the amc similar to what? and the timing cover is similar to what motor? a ford, technically it's a mutt of a bunch of designs and relates to alot of different motors.

The best port flow out of a mopar head is not the mag motors but the older oval/slight d shaped very rarely seen J style head that was still available from mopar up until a few years ago, another stupid mopar blunder

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Evildriver-3 said:
J10Mike said:
Evildriver-3 said:
i wouldn't quite agree with that. the amc 360 is it's own beast and is from a long line of amc engines including the 290 to 304, 343 to 360, and 390 to 401. none of which are ford influences.
Really, so the dist in the front, the valve layout, just like the ford head makes the amc similar to what? and the timing cover is similar to what motor? a ford, technically it's a mutt of a bunch of designs and relates to alot of different motors.

The best port flow out of a mopar head is not the mag motors but the older oval/slight d shaped very rarely seen J style head that was still available from mopar up until a few years ago, another stupid mopar blunder
so, with the dist up front, you are saying that mopar big blocks are based on the ford design as well? your saying that any engine designed with a similar timing cover is a ford influence? hold on...i'm being objective. i'll have to check valve layout when the time comes...as a curiosity.
anyone who knows amc (including myself) will agree that most everything amc was just a pure mutt of the big three. in my jeep j10, i have a ford ignition, distribitor and starter solenoid, a mopar 727 (amc bolt pattern) and a gm tilt steering column and ignition switch. sounds like a mutt to me. i'm sure that there are more mutt componants as well. i would imagine some engine design was influenced from the big three. i don't deny that the amc engines may have had some ford influence...or any influence from the the other manufacturers.
i simply stated that the magnum head was based on the amc design. i also stated that the amc engine was it's own beast. the design was not influenced by any one manufacturer....but, maybe more as a collective design from all of the big three. further, like mopar, amc engines have absolutely nothing that is compatible with other makes of engine. there may be some similarities, but, that's about it.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
AMC engines weren't mutts, they just used some parts produced by other makes because it was cheaper for them to buy existing parts then it was to produce their own design. Remember, AMC wasn't as big as the Big Three and didn't have the resources available to them.

Ed

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Well when the mopar big block gets that same dist up front same location on the same side and the same layout then yes it will be a ford. it's even part buick

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
that being the case mopars are really chevys since 360 cranks were made by GM, sensors are often AC delco along with some of the fuel pumps, and if its got a rottenchester 4bbl on it its a chevy as well.

hell the single outter/pair inner exhaust manifold port lay out and rear distributor of the 360 make it a small block chevy.

hmm maybe dodge trucks are chevy if they come with new process/new venture drive line parts or spicer/dana parts?

get real.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Really so the mopar head is the same angle and design as the chevy, look into the amc more

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.