Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right know i'm runningn a 727 and 205 out of an 89 1 ton. I'm wanting to go to a 203/205 double. Now, i already have a 727 with a 203 behind it,( I know on the 727's tail shafts are differnt). So now i need a 205 with 32spline. I dont recall what spline my Dodge 205 has, but i think ALL DODGE's are 29?? Is this correct?? If so i need to be trying to score a gm 205/ Thanks, Chris

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Most Dodge NP205s are 23 spline and then the few Dodge Cummins manual transmission trucks came with 29 spline versions.  If you want a 32 spline input, you need a GM NP205 or you will have to have your Dodge NP205's case machined out to accept the GM 32 spline input and larger bearing.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
yep. as usual elwenil nailed it. all gas dodge 205s = 23spline. all deisel dodge 205s = 29. i just talked to steven at ORD about this very swap yesterday. you can use your case, but you will need to bore the input bearing bore to accept the larger bearing accompanied by the short chevy 32spline input gear you will need to swap to. ORD sells the parts. they will even bore your case for you if you wanted to disassemble it and ship it to them. the 203/205 is a bombproof and very versatile set-up. i am thinking about going that route myself so i can retain my non-granny 4-speed for streetability with 35"s and 4.10s, yet still have deep gears for wheeling without the granny low in the tranny.

·
Premium Member
13,528 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, i've been reading ORD site, like i think every page they have. I am deff going oto deal with them, i really think they know their stuff!! I really didn't want to get into having to take take case apart, then send away, then reassemble it. Plus buy the 32spline shaft and bearing.  But i do need to compare the two ways price wise.  If i buy a used GM 205, then, i'll have to buy it, then Buy a rebuild kit, bearings, seals. IDK what would be cheaper. I may try to find someone here to machine it, that way i wouldn't have to ship it. Just buy the shaft/bearings.
I really do think doing the doubler is better than just swaping ring&pinion. The only other expence i'll have is my new very $$$$$ drive shafts have to be cut down/lengthen. So i'll have to send them back to HighAngleDrive.
Whats your guy's opinon, Twin stick, or spend the extra and triple shifters?? Do you really need that many ratio opions??

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
The Dodge diesel 29 spline 205 has the large input bearing and will accept the GM 32 spline input without machining. I know you have the gas version so that won't help you, but if you're looking for another case, keep an eye open for one of these if you can't find the GM turbo 400 version 205 (the one with the 32 spline input). I looked for almost a year to find the T400 205 that I'm using for my doubler, not easy to find around here, and when you do, guys usually want alot for them ($300-400).

Also, unless its been thrashed, a 205 that you find may not need a full rebuild. The one I got was actually in great shape. I got a reseal kit from NW Fab: http://www.northwestfab.com/rebuild.html
for $40 and put it back together. Got the case for $150 and sold the T400 adapter for $100....

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
m-o-p-a-r said:
all gas dodge 205s = 23spline. all deisel dodge 205s = 29
Is that accurate? And, someone correct me if I am wrong. But, I believe it's all gasser 205s and CTD 205s from behind an auto tranny are 23 spline. Only the manual tranny CTD 205s are 29 spline.
Is that not correct?

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
J10Mike said:
Is that accurate?
No.

And, someone correct me if I am wrong. But, I believe it's all gasser 205s and CTD 205s from behind an auto tranny are 23 spline. Only the manual tranny CTD 205s are 29 spline.
Is that not correct?
Yes, you are correct.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
thanks for correcting me guys. got that info from an old 4x4mag. figures huh.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
smokenram, when i talked with Steven about it yesterday, he went into quite a bit of detail about the shifters. and he really emphasized that the real benefit from going with the triple stick shifter is greatly improved shifting. he said, and i quote, "sure, you could just use a twin stick and save a couple bucks. especially if you dont need front wheel drive. but im not gonna lie, the twin stick is a bitch to shift. especially 2-hi". he said that you can use the triple sticks without modifying your shift rails also.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I kinda figured it would be much better to go with 3shift, most people i've talked  to with it, love it. You'll have to keep in touch with us on the doubler, let us know how it goes, i prob wont get to doing mine till late this summer!!- Chris

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
i will be a little while myself. i need to build suspension and get it on axles/tires before i do anything. i am just glad i have all the parts to do all that already! i can save for the doubler while i am building.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
J10Mike said:
Is that accurate? And, someone correct me if I am wrong. But, I believe it's all gasser 205s and CTD 205s from behind an auto tranny are 23 spline. Only the manual tranny CTD 205s are 29 spline.
Is that not correct?
You are correct! The auto trans diesels are 23 spline, slipped my mind... {beer}

·
Registered
23 Posts
Be careful not to get the TH350 205 as that's a 27 spline and you'll be in the same boat you're in currently.  As cragdweller stated earlier, you need the TH400 version. 

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I used the ORD kit and had my Dodge case bored to accept the larger bearing and TH 400 input shaft. I weht with a twin stick shifter for my NP 205 and installed a cable operated push/pull knob for the NP203 range box. I did that so I did not have to make a larger hole in the floor and mess up my new carpet. ORD are good guys to work with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts