Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
The '85 FSM mentions a standard and maximum cooling (which came on all vehicles equiped with the trailer towing package regardless of engine size) systems. The vehicles equiped with the trailer towing package came with larger (thicker cored) radiators. Open the radiator cap and count the cores.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The only differance between 'regular' and Max cooling with the towing package is the addition of an external tranny cooler. The radiators are the same. Good ole two core radiators. You can get a three core rad from a diesel and it will bolt up but i'm not 100% positive if the inlet and outlet are the same.

Mike

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Would it hurt to get a bigger radiator? ( I know, dumb question) But I was thinking since my whole front is going to be replaced, why not look into a custom one, or one from another truck/manufacturrer that will gove me 50-100% more cooling.

I have been left onthe side of the road by every vehicle ive owned, save 2 and im not going to let this happen with this truck.

I was thinking of a custom rad. mount and a custom core . . . .

·
Premium Member
3,768 Posts
I don't think it's possible to have too big a radiator as long as the thermostat is working properly. If the coolant temp. gets too low, the thermostat will close and keep the temp. where it belongs.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you want a better cooling rad just go to a rad shop and see about ordering one. Sometimes they can recore your rad while adding another row. I know you can order replacement rads that have more rows. Just got to find a shop that knows what is going on.

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Being within the lines here, would a 3/4 or 1 ton truck have a bigger radiator that would bolt right in? I have a couple pin hole leaks in mine and instead of brazing it I was looking to upgrade, and surely one of those radiators would be cheaper than something from Be Cool or Griffen (or any other aluminum radiator).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts