Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as i was having coffee this morning i was day dreaming about my trucks, which i always do and wondered about the good vs bad of married or divorced t cases. Which is better? are there benefits to a divorced? Just an opinion topic i was looking for input on

Floyd

·
Registered
829 Posts
One more driveshaft with two u-joints and a slip joint to wear out. Two more oil seals to deal with. Another pair of mounts to hang it on the frame.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
The advantages of a divorced case are freedom of placement and int he case of a Dodge divorced transfer case, strength.  With a divorced case you can move the transfer case in the middle so that you run the save type driveshaft front and rear and only have to carry one spare.  Also for lifted trucks, you can lower the transfer case in the chassis to provide better U-joint angles.  Also the divorced transfer case used in Dodge divorced case trucks is a NP205 with 32 spline inputs and outputs which makes it stronger than any other transfer case used from '74-'93, perhaps even now.

·
Registered
140 Posts
not to mention it gives you a real nice angle on the front drive shaft. if you have a short bed the rear angle ist all that good but for a long bed it is great. eather way that is what they make cv driveshafts for ;D

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
It also add to transmission options being able to use 2WD units.

·
Registered
5 Posts
With a divorced transfer case you can do what my friend did, buy a $500 2wd cummins truck and pull the motor tranny out and easy swap done. 

I shouldnt mention that he did that into a 75 highboy {think}

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
hrd4mud said:
With a divorced transfer case you can do what my friend did, buy a $500 2wd cummins truck and pull the motor tranny out and easy swap done.

I shouldnt mention that he did that into a 75 highboy {think}
I was just musing over this same thought today and if there would be any cons to a divorced 205 behind a cummins. Other than having a short shaft, looks like a weiner! ;D

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
No major drawbacks.  The divorced NP205s use a 32 spline input so one could say it's considerably stronger than the mated versions but I would spend some cash and get some yokes that are a lot larger than the normal 7260 that most divorced NP205s use.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
That was my thoughts. What size would you recommend for a 1st gen 12v? Not that I have one...yet. Bit I'm reading up on the diesel builds and the oil board here. AND, if I should happen across a deal, AND have some extra $$$.... ;D

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Honestly for the intermediate shaft between the transmission and transfer case, I would get the biggest yokes you can find that will fit the transmission and transfer case.  When that shaft breaks it tends to wipe out the yokes with it and then beat the crap out of the floor until you stop it is disintegrates.  That little shaft will receive full torque of the engine at all times in addition to the multiplication from the transmission.  I'd go as big as you can reasonably afford.  You will probably be limited by the transmission yoke more than the transfer case.  I would avoid having any "bastard" or combination U-joints in the intermediate shaft and make sure it is well made and balanced.  Any vibration in that shaft you will certainly feel in the truck extremely well and it will severely shorten the life of the shaft.  These are just my opinions based on my experience with my two '74 model truck with divorced NP205s, one of which I swapped in a big block and had a few issues keeping the intermediate shaft alive behind the 383 and NP435 4 speed for a while until I replaced both yokes and the shaft with new parts.  I think I used Spicer 1310s if I remember right but with the Cummins I'd go as large as I reasonably could and try to use Spicer yokes with the nub for cap retention rather than the Detroit style we are used to with the inside C-clips.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Elwenil said:
No major drawbacks. The divorced NP205s use a 32 spline input, I would spend some cash and get some yokes that are a lot larger than the normal 7260 that most divorced NP205s use.
Thats what I did to mine, I went with 3 1410 yokes.. I like the divorce cases, keeps everything simple and easy to swap out transmissions only if a person had to..

·
Registered
611 Posts
Elwenil said:
I would get the biggest yokes you can find that will fit the transmission and transfer case. When that shaft breaks it tends to wipe out the yokes with it and then beat the crap out of the floor until you stop it is disintegrates. That little shaft will receive full torque of the engine at all times in addition to the multiplication from the transmission. I'd go as big as you can reasonably afford.
I'm running a 5380 yoke on my transmission which is almost the same size as a 1410. Driveshaft Superstore can make a 1410 for the trans, but you will have to send them your old yoke for them to make it, which is what I plan to do and get rid of those straps on the 5380..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts