Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What years and what trucks would i find a Divorced 205? Are they only in 1 tons? Im plannin on mounting in the stock location so i dont have to change driveshaft lengths and run a 2wd trans.

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
You can find them for sure in any 4WD Dodge pickup from '72-74.  1/2 ton to 1 ton, they all had them.  They were also used in older models as well but I'm not familiar enough with them to say much about them.  Be aware that all of the divorced transfer case models I know of used a special short automatic or normal 2WD style 4 speed.  A typical later model 2WD 727 will be too long to mount the NP205 in it's stock location.  Also be aware that the front drive shaft in a stock long bed 4WD with a divorced case is usually a bit longer than the rear even with the short transmission.  I seriously doubt you are going to be able to put in a divorced transfer case and not change the driveshaft lengths.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay thanks i hate to ask but do you know the years they would be in Chevy's too i know they had right hand drops... the plan for right now is to atleast try and keep the same length drive shafts and im gonna be running a stick so that cuts down the length of the trans.

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
I do believe that GM swapped to mated transfer cases before Dodge did so it will be around the same years, but a little earlier.  No clue as to what models.

My '74 W100 and '74 W200 were both 4 speeds and had the really long front drive shaft.  The intermediate shaft was only 14" long or so and you can't get much shorter than that and still keep a slip yoke in it.  The divorced setup is much longer than a mated setup not matter how you look at it which is the reason the Ramcharger was the first Dodge 4WD to use a mated transfer case.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whats the going price for a divorced 205?  ??? Gonna go junk yard searching tomorrow and wanna know what a good price is so i dont get screwed over.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
The price will depend on where you live, check ebay. You might find what you're looking for there. You can also find 205s in some International pick-ups from the late 60s and don't forget, you'll need the cross member and all the shift linkages.

Ed

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just my two penny's if you can pick one up for a couple hundered used you'll be ok. Like the post said earler ebay is allways a good sourse. I just wanted to say that I have dealth with this my self. When I did my 4bt swap I used a th400 trans and my little shaft was like 7 or 8 inches. Now don't get me wrong they had to special order parts from tenn. and it cost 500 bucks but a little drive shaft can be made. I have upgraded to the nv4500 and now my shaft is about 10 1/2 inches and that was no big deal to make. So it can be made you'll just have to go to a good drive shaft place. Good luck ;D!

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
may also want to keep in mind that the front axle was mounted with a different angle on the pinion in the divorced case trucks.

I was unaware of this until we started to swap dads old 73 divorced set up into his 85 2wd. It ended up being easier to just swap the 85 body onto the 73 frame than try to figure out how to mount front axle at proper angle in the 85 for the divorced case.

eric

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Money pit did you just mount the t-case in the stock location instead of having longer front and rear shafts made? if so do you have any pics of your set up? Having the little stub shaft made is no big deal to me. I jsut dont wanna dump a whole lot more into all new drive shafts.

·
Registered
81 Posts
DavidO2007 said:
Money pit did you just mount the t-case in the stock location instead of having longer front and rear shafts made? if so do you have any pics of your set up? Having the little stub shaft made is no big deal to me. I jsut dont wanna dump a whole lot more into all new drive shafts.
david, you have to realize that divorced transfer case setups are supposed to have a long front driveshaft, and reducing the driveshaft angle is one of the main reasons that people run these setups. the other benefits are that you get less vibration on the drivetrain from the engine, since the transfer case isnt bolted directly onto the transmission. as far as im concerned, divorced t-case setups are far superior to the mated/married transfer case.

so basically, im telling you that physically, there is no way around it but to get a longer front driveshaft. BUT, before you get discouraged, if you DO mount the transfer case in the stock location, then you might be able to run a junkyard or find a used front stock oem style driveshaft from somewhere, which will save you having the front driveshaft custom made. but most likely you will need to get the short, intermediate shaft made at a driveline shop.

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
I seriously doubt there is room to mount a divorced NP205 in the exact same location as a mated NP205.  Part of the reason for switching to the mated transfer cases was to reduce the length of the driveline so trucks like the Ramcharger with the shorter wheelbase could be built.  Now if you took the driveshafts from a truck that came stock with a divorced NP205, you could probably use those, but not shafts from a mated transfer case truck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Elwenil said:
I seriously doubt there is room to mount a divorced NP205 in the exact same location as a mated NP205. Part of the reason for switching to the mated transfer cases was to reduce the length of the driveline so trucks like the Ramcharger with the shorter wheelbase could be built. Now if you took the driveshafts from a truck that came stock with a divorced NP205, you could probably use those, but not shafts from a mated transfer case truck.
+1.

i think i forgot to clarify that when i was talking about putting the np205 in the "stock location" i meant the area that would be the stock location for a divorced transfer case truck.

and yeah, a short wheelbase vehicle like a ramcharger is a little bit short to be running a divorced t-case, which is why chrysler didnt make em that way.

however, with a little ingenuity, you can definitely do a divorced setup and hopefully make it work better than a stock RC drivetrain.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I've been considering going to a divorced 205 as well.  My RC has about 14" of lift and the angles aren't pretty.  I'll be mounting mine lower though and clocked.  My trouble is that I'd have to convert my 4 speed to 2wd.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey guy so here are some pics but I just wanted to say that allmost everthing on my truck is not factory. But one of the few things that are is the transfer case. So that is all factory. You can see in one of the pics that the rear yoke on the transfer case is allmost flush with the back of the cab. And just a FYI my tuck is a reg cab short bed truck. The wheel base for my truck is about 120". And to shoot some numbers at you my rear drive shaft is about 39" center to center and my front is 42" center to center. And that the factory location for my transfer case is about 13 or 14 inches behind the factory trans member. Hope this can help

As you can see I'm in the middle of some upgrades

Got to love that Forest Service Green hiding under neath all that crud lol

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay i understand what you guys mean i just tryin to make things easier. But if you guys say it wont fit I trust you. If i find a complete truck ill grab the driveshafts too. I thought maybe with it bein a long bed W200 it might fit and since im not using dodge engine or trans. Ill be converting to diesel power in the process of doin all of this. Im hoping i wont be killing the drive shafts and u-joint all the time with this diesel.

Oh yeah and the rig is my 79 W200 long bed with a 360 727 and 203 in my sig that im working on i just got a new job and now im gonna be able to afford to keep it. I was about to send it to the bone yard since the price of steel was up.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just had a thought will the bolt holes be in the frame already for the divorced 205 or is that something im gonna have figure out on my own where i need it to be and drill the holes my self? I found a set of drive shafts at the junk yard someone had already stolen the t-case though.

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
I doubt the holes for the divorced transfer case crossmember will be in the frame on a later truck.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay well i guess drilling a couple holes in the frame shouldnt be that bad. But how about the speedo drive is that located in the 205 or on the transmission? In money pits pic it looks like a cable coming out the rear drivers side of the 205 with some kind of adapter.

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
NP205s use a standard gear drive for the speedometer and require a small gear box to get the correct ratio for the speedometer.  Any good shop that does speedometer calibrations should be able to be able to make one for your axle gears and tire size.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay Thanks Elwenil. And had another thought will it hurt the 205 any if i run it with full time axles? Ive read they are bullet proof but didnt know if it would affect it any.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.