Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all i might have a line on a donor truck with a 4 speed divorced mount 205, is it possible to keep my automatic and still mount a divorced setup? i know i'll need to modify my trans to maybe a 2wd setup but can it be done?
shawn

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's what i was thinking as well, but i've never heard of this setup all the divorced ones i've seen were behind a 4 speed
shawn

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Yea, you would need to change output shafts to a 2wd version as well as adapters. The thing with the divorced t case is that the shaft going from the trans to the t case has to be very short and balanced perfectly. You'll also need longer driveshaft in the front and a shorter one in the rear.

·
Premium Member
2,688 Posts
the 2wd output shaft used on the 727 with the divorced np205 is about 14" shorter than a regular 2wd tranny. you will need the output shaft and tailshaft housing from a 71 to 74 truck that used the divorced 205... that might be the hard part to find.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
maybe this isn't worth the trouble of hunting parts, i'm still looking for a married setup for an auto. i thought about just running the 4 speed in my truck but my cab is for an auto so then there would be more fabbing. not to mention the drive shafts.
shawn

·
Founder
25,730 Posts
Yeah, there were a couple of versions of 2wd trannies, some where shorter then others. A 205 is cool and all, but I would rather a NP241, 2.71 to 1 gear reduction and they come in HD versions so they are very strong, some people say as strong as a 205 if not stronger. With the aluminum case it is much lighter then a 205. It is a chain drive system, not gear driven like the 205, but I have never had any problems with a chain drive.

I have also heard the chain drive is more beefed up on the 241, but I don't know for sure. I think I recall seeing some sort of mod to beef up the system too. There is also a 4 to 1 kit you can get for the 241.

Way back when I through out a couple of 241's, I wanted a 205. I wish I hadn't thrown them out now :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
do they make a 241 adapter for a 727? what do i have to look for a donor truck for a HD241? i still want a 205 though
shawn

·
Premium Member
7,261 Posts
I'm in the process of installing a divorced 205 in my RC.

The original reason for this was for simplicity. My donor truck was a 2wd with a good automatic. Rather than convert over the tailshaft and use a married t-case. I decided to go with a divorced t-case, and leave the tranny intact.

This gave me several possible options. First if I decide to swap out the automatic for an NV4500 later, I can get the cheaper 2wd version of the NV4500 and not have to mess with readapting the t-case to the tranny again. It turns out that a 2wd NV4500 is within a 1/2 of an inch in length to my automatic.

The next hope was that I can make both front and rear driveshafts at the same length, this would allow me to carry one spare or have interchangable driveshafts. Unfortunately, this won't work well as the front driveshaft will be 8 inches longer than the rear. However, because I have added so much lift and will have a short rear driveshaft, I can angle the divorced 205 slightly to the rear, and reduce some of the working angle. Although this would increase the angle for the front driveshaft, it's extra length will help reduce the angle there. (And I can always clock the t-case)

The mod is not without some difficulties. First, I needed a divorced t-case crossmember. This is more difficult than I thought, because I couldn't find one. Unable to find an older Dodge with a divorced 205, I came across a crossmember from a 63 International, which has a 5 inch narrower frame. As it turned out this was ideal because I had dropped the tranny 2 inches in the frame, and I needed to drop the t-case crossmember to match. The International's crossmember fit perfectly in the lowered position (Pics will follow on my site later)

The intermediate shaft (short driveshaft) has to be a custom made unit and must have a slip joint to take up any movement between the t-case on it's rubber mounts, and the engine and tranny which do move slightly on their mounts. I had thought of using a new tailshaft with a slip yoke, but the slip yoke tailshafts turned out to be 8 inches longer then my current fixed yoke tailshaft, and apparently do not come with a yoke any larger than a 1310 series u-joint. (Not good when you have a torquy diesel)

I'll be buying a custom 1410 intermediate driveshaft that will be just under 6 inches in length and have a 1.5 inch slip joint. This is as short as possible for this driveshaft. Front and rear shafts will be standard fare.

Ed

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, this isn't a dead idea with me yet, i have a couple divorced transfers from M37's but they are huge, bigger than normal divorced 205's
shawn

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
You can also look for the short tailstock in motorhomes. That's where mine came from.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
here is what you want to do for a 727 with a devorice 205
frist do some hunting find some 80's model 2 wheel drive 1 ton and 1/2 club cab truck(basicly your looking for trucks with carier in the rear drive shaft) these trucks will have a short tail 727 much shorter than the normal 727 but at the end of the this short 727 it has the yolk (like on a rear end) that you need to run the intermediate shaft
i have a np 435 now w/ the devorice 205 i also have that short 727 and from what i can tell if i ever blow out my 435 the short 727 will bolt right in
hope this help man

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
I have Seen moparmans set up and he is right about the hooking up. I haven't actually measured the 727 he has but just looking at it it rteally isnt that much difference and will most likely be a direct bolt in. I have also seen Rxt set up and he makes it sound so easy but that dan system hes got though bulletproof is a whole lot of damn trouble if I had to do it I probably would have tried to find the 4x tranny for that rig ...

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
is there a difference in low range between a divorced and married 205? i like the idea of almost equal length driveshafts. but with the crossmembers from a donor truck (74) will this all bolt into my 85 frame?
shawn

·
Premium Member
7,261 Posts
mid_evil_thymz said:
I have Seen moparmans set up and he is right about the hooking up. I haven't actually measured the 727 he has but just looking at it it rteally isnt that much difference and will most likely be a direct bolt in. I have also seen Rxt set up and he makes it sound so easy but that dan system hes got though bulletproof is a whole lot of damn trouble if I had to do it I probably would have tried to find the 4x tranny for that rig ...
Actually as difficult as it was to research and find what I needed it's all pretty fun ;D

Rodney, You know the final outcome of my RC, and how I'll be using it. Nothing less than bulletproof is what I need (I'm sure you'll like it when you see it next time ;D)

As for anyone else, I wouldn't recommend doing things the way I did if theres an easier way, but for me, I didn't want your basic run of the mill RC.

Ed

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
RXT said:
mid_evil_thymz said:
Actually as difficult as it was to research and find what I needed it's all pretty fun ;D

Rodney, You know the final outcome of my RC, and how I'll be using it. Nothing less than bulletproof is what I need (I'm sure you'll like it when you see it next time ;D)

As for anyone else, I wouldn't recommend doing things the way I did if theres an easier way, but for me, I didn't want your basic run of the mill RC.

Ed
Shoot Ed,
I like that truck now as it sits. And yeah I agree that it'll have to and will most definatley be bulletproof. I just don't know how you could be so patient waiting for parts and reasearching and all the other things involved. Not with that big bad CTD chilling in the driveway. I will tell ya'll one thing RXT will definately not have a run of the mill RC..
Hurry up ed the ram jams coming up and you gotta tow my td out there and back :eek: I'll buy the diesel...
Mid_evil_thymz

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
No gearing differences in 205's...just how they bolt up.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Murdoch said:
is there a difference in low range between a divorced and married 205? i like the idea of almost equal length driveshafts. but with the crossmembers from a donor truck (74) will this all bolt into my 85 frame?
shawn
no difference in the 205 gearing as far as the crossmember ? i would assume so and i dont see why not but i dont know for sure so whip out the good old tape musure
i was wonder ing why you what to do the 205 and 727 set up
and keep in mind with devorice t-case you have more u-joints to break but ill swear by that set up and if you want to do lifts on the truck the devorice make it nice for drive shafts angels

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well, right now i have a 727 and a 203 case, i don't want full time, i want a 205, i figure for the price of the part time kit i might as well keep looking for a married 205 setup. i've got time to keep looking.
shawn

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.