Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up an OEM divorced 205 T-case crossmember for a T-case I hoarded a few years back. We cut the crossmember out of the '73 truck frame by torching the frame on either side of the factory rivet attachment points. Yesterday I was cutting and chiseling rivet heads to detach the crossmember from the frame sections. I was surprised to see that, in addition to the four rivets per side, there was a small piece of angle on each side welded to the crossmember and the frame rail. I parted out a couple '72s years ago and don't recall the welded-in angle pieces, only the rivets. In fact, welded sections are pretty rare on these frames, with rivets doing most of the fastening work. Are these welded angle pieces factory? Just curious if this was something Chrysler did in addition to the rivets at some point? Or perhaps something someone else added later?

·
Registered
1977 W-200 318-727-203
380 Posts
I recently picked up an OEM divorced 205 T-case crossmember for a T-case I hoarded a few years back. We cut the crossmember out of the '73 truck frame by torching the frame on either side of the factory rivet attachment points. Yesterday I was cutting and chiseling rivet heads to detach the crossmember from the frame sections. I was surprised to see that, in addition to the four rivets per side, there was a small piece of angle on each side welded to the crossmember and the frame rail. I parted out a couple '72s years ago and don't recall the welded-in angle pieces, only the rivets. In fact, welded sections are pretty rare on these frames, with rivets doing most of the fastening work. Are these welded angle pieces factory? Just curious if this was something Chrysler did in addition to the rivets at some point? Or perhaps something someone else added later?
you happen to have a photo from that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've just removed the same crossmember from an old 1973 truck frame. It had the welded in angle brackets either side underneath. I had to run the plasma cutter through them to get the crossmember free of the frame rails. If it makes any difference the truck was ex-military.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
output_image1620410421874.jpg

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
output_image1620410463336.jpg

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So maybe Dodge started adding this additional attachment point at some time...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts