Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a Dodge Ramcharger 5.2 TBI and need to know if my distributor has vacume or not. I do not see a cylinder for vacuum in the one installed and the auto parts store near me only carries ones with vacuum. Can I use the one with vacuum? Or should I try and find one without? Or is there a difference? If so what? Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
14,338 Posts
You timing is set by computer, so no vacuum to the distributor. The distributor is a fixed-time distributor - i.e. you set the base time and it doesn't change. If it needs to be replaced, make sure you set the correct one.

That being said, it shouldn't fail. Why do (you think) you need one?

·
Administrator
62,294 Posts
I agree with the Why?

That being said, with the TBI, you need a dizzy for the TBI, it will not have a vacuum advance, but will have the hall effect sensor inside,

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not know what a dizzy is. I think I need a new one because the truck is dying out when under a load. I know it is not the fuel because I have replaced everything fuel related. It has all new plugs/wires, rotor, cap and coil. It is having a very hard time starting and is loosing power under a load. Before it was a heavy load but now a medium load will cut it out. I've read about the Hall effect and pick-up coil in distributor and thought that might be the problem.

Also how do you set the base time?

Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
14,338 Posts
Rambo1988 said:
I do not know what a dizzy is. I think I need a new one because the truck is dying out when under a load. I know it is not the fuel because I have replaced everything fuel related. It has all new plugs/wires, rotor, cap and coil. It is having a very hard time starting and is loosing power under a load. Before it was a heavy load but now a medium load will cut it out. I've read about the Hall effect and pick-up coil in distributor and thought that might be the problem.

Also how do you set the base time?

Thanks!!
dizzy = short for distributor.

Losing power under load could be fuel delivery, a weak coil, or many other problems. The Hall-effect sensor would be more random. You should ask us to help you diagnose instead of changing parts - you'll save money and time that way.

You need to check for error codes. Start there; it's super easy. Turn key to "on" (not start) 3 times and watch the check engine light. It'll flash a sequence you need to write down. Test your coil (simple with a standard multi-meter). Also, a fuel pressure gauge that you can rent at Auto Zone, etc, would be very helpful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.