Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the O-Ring seal on the distributor is supposed to seal by compression when installing the distributor clamp? I have a new O-ring that I am installing and it will not slide inside the block, I can compress it to make a seal tho. Will there be enough shaft to reach the cam gear?

I also wanted to confirm the distributor installation. I've put the distributor in so it points to number 1 IF I set the vacuum adavnce diaphram facing towards the firwall. I have a shop manual that says to face the vacumn advance towards the rear of the engine. When I pulled my engine I really didn't check since it got torn down anyway.

And if i do it wrong, I can only be off 180 degrees right?

thank you

·
Registered
29,723 Posts
l looked at three running motors/the diaphram points towards the back coil bracket bolt / the DIST should slide right in flush / you have the wrong o-ring

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
you might have the wrong O-ring, but try puttin a little like 10w30 on it and see if that helps. thats what i had to do with my dart and PW when i replaced the dist on it. also like bogger said the vac advance should point to the coil and not to the firewall. try re installing your oil pump drive shaft and gear so that you can allow the dist to be oriented right. i hope this makes sence....

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Gasket came from a Fel-Pro gasket set. I've run into this problem before. One O-ring is too big, the next size is too small. Do you know where to get the right o-ring seal? I already tried the oil and compressing the ring, but there isn't enough space/clearance.

The shop manual says to face the vacuum advance towards the front right of the engine. The coil isn't there. It would be about 45 degrees clockwise. The engine is set at TDC and I'll point the dist. towards plug number 1.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
macario said:
I know, a question that might seem obvious to all here but:

If a distributor is in 180* out of spec, can the motor still start and run?

Mac
i think it would depend on where you ahve your plug wires installed at. i really see no reason that as long as you lined plugs up on proper terminals that it wouldnt run, of course you would have to do some experimenting to see exactly which terminal to put number one at, after that it shouldnt be a problem

eric

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
if it's 180 out, it won't run. it will backfire.

It doesn't matter where the distributor shaft is in the driving gear, as long as when #1 is @ TDC, the distributor rotor points to one of the terminals. That terminal will now be #1, and just follow the firing order around from there.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
TheRamChargerMan said:
if it's 180 out, it won't run. it will backfire.

It doesn't matter where the distributor shaft is in the driving gear, as long as when #1 is @ TDC, the distributor rotor points to one of the terminals. That terminal will now be #1, and just follow the firing order around from there.
this is what i was trying to say but came out sounding confusing. lol

eric

·
Registered
200 Posts
As far as the o-ring goes, many parts stores like Napa and Car Quest will sell individual o-rings of different sizes. Or you can just buy a kit. Now for the orientation; My 84 shop manual also says to have the distributor facing to the right side. The picture next to that sentence shows the “right side” as being the passenger side. If it’s not that way then don’t just leave it to find out what happens. Even if it does run, installing things according to the book will help troubleshoot possible problems in the future. I hope this helps.

Streak-O-Lean

·
Registered
200 Posts
Streak-O-Lean said:
Streak-O-Lean said:
My 84 shop manual also says to have the distributor facing to the right side.
OK, I will get this straight. I guess I am click happy.
What I meant to say in my original post and correct in the second is:
The vacuum advance should be facing the passenger side. If you aren't sure or didn't mark its orientation, the put it in the middle and make small adjustments until it starts, then time it in.
Whew! I guess it's not so hard to make a post after all.

Streak-O-Lean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts