Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did they ever make a disk brake conversion kit for going from 4 wheel drum to 4 wheel disk for the old W200's? or are they all piecemail?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Can't answer your question, but I think I'm going to look into Kurt's front drum brake swap on his '74, to get rid of his front drums. I have a '73 W200 with drums all around, and am really wanting to get discs up front.

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
There are kits for the rear but the front can be done with stock parts.

·
Registered
8,314 Posts
I've done it for my '74 W-100.
Being a 1/2 ton vs. your 3/4 ton you'll need to investigate stock parts like Elwenil said above.
I wouldn't be surprised if you swap Chevy/ Ford parts around to get things right like I did.
After all, your running a Dana 44 in the front just like my 1/2 ton. And Chevy/ Fords of the same era ran a 44.
Pretty much the difference between the 5 to 8 lug hubs. And possibly the size of the calipers between the 1/2 and 3/4.
The key being the spindle bolt pattern: Chevys have the 6 bolt spindle like the Dodges.
All you would need then is a Chevy spindle/ Chevy backing plate (caliper mount)/ Chevy calipers, pads, and a Chevy hub and rotor. Check and make sure the wheel bearings/ races are the same on the Dodge and Chevy... they should be. Being an 8 bolt pattern- they're all the same in those years. Dodge, Ford or Chevy.
I needed the Ford parts in my conversion because of the 5 x 5.5 lug pattern.

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
Basically it's the same as a conversion from full time to part time, you do a swap from the knuckles out using a 8 lug D44 from a Dodge truck from '80-'93.  CAD axles may need a spindle bearing installed in one side depending on what was installed prior.  But basically it's the knuckle and everything outboard including the stub shaft and install your chosen brand of locking hubs in place of the CAD puck, spacer and cap.  You will probably need to set the toe and it's a good time to do axle seals and whatever other maintenance the new and old parts might require.

·
Registered
72 Posts
http://www.offroadexchange.com/diskbrakeswap.htm Offroad Exchange has a good write-up of how to do the swap-out and some things to look out for.

Personally I'd just look for a whole disc brake axle to rebuild and swap in when I'm done. I'm not a fast mechanic and a full axle rebuild (which I'd do if I did a swap) definitely has the possibility to become a multi-weekend project. Do you want your truck down for that long?

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Microcube said:
http://www.offroadexchange.com/diskbrakeswap.htm Offroad Exchange has a good write-up of how to do the swap-out and some things to look out for.

Personally I'd just look for a whole disc brake axle to rebuild and swap in when I'm done. I'm not a fast mechanic and a full axle rebuild (which I'd do if I did a swap) definitely has the possibility to become a multi-weekend project. Do you want your truck down for that long?
I need my truck up as much as possible which is why I'm doing research before getting parts...lol

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
That link is pretty decent but I don't like GM parts on my trucks.  Plus, if you swap the knuckles you avoid the whole bleeder screw issue, and you may as well get the knuckles as it's a good time to swap out the ball joints in you are going in that far.  I am a decent mechanic and I can get this sort of swap done in day pretty easy if I want to, not much different than doing axle joints, except you are putting it all back together with different parts.

·
Registered
8,314 Posts
Microcube said:

Wow! The old website I used to hang out at.

·
Registered
8,314 Posts
Elwenil said:
That link is pretty decent but I don't like GM parts on my trucks. Plus, if you swap the knuckles you avoid the whole bleeder screw issue, and you may as well get the knuckles as it's a good time to swap out the ball joints in you are going in that far. I am a decent mechanic and I can get this sort of swap done in day pretty easy if I want to, not much different than doing axle joints, except you are putting it all back together with different parts.
Yep. I despise GM so much.
They did have better brakes way before Dodge did though.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
yep gm used the hydroboost , but Chrysler corp. used 4 piston calipers a long time ago ,till they found out they jambed alot ,  now its all the rage .... again ...... the more pistons the better ..... LOL  me I just put wider shoes and bigger wheel cylinders in the rear , and it all bolts right on in place of whats there already . 

·
Registered
8,314 Posts
Great article in the latest (October 2018) issue of Mopar Action Magazine.
Richard Ehrenberg wrote a great conversion deal on putting 2007 and down Jeep Liberty's 11 1/4" rear disc brakes on any 1965-1974 Mopar with an 8 3/4" or Dana 60 rear axle.
I'm not sure if it will work on any of our trucks... Dana 60 for sure.
Again... I'd like to point out how subscribing to Mopar mags can be helpful for us truck guys too.
Mopar Action is one of the best ones out there.
With guys like Richard Ehrenberg working for them. He's probably the best Mopar tech guru out there.

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
I haven't subscribed to a Mopar mag in decades but I still have stacks of boxes filled with Mopar Action, Mopar Muscle, Mopar Collectors Guide and Chrysler Power from the '90s.  E-berg has always been a great source of tech and entertainment.  The story of the "Flying Green Brick" is still one of my favorites and I've wanted to run the One Lap of America ever since.

·
Registered
8,314 Posts
Elwenil said:
I haven't subscribed to a Mopar mag in decades but I still have stacks of boxes filled with Mopar Action, Mopar Muscle, Mopar Collectors Guide and Chrysler Power from the '90s. E-berg has always been a great source of tech and entertainment. The story of the "Flying Green Brick" is still one of my favorites and I've wanted to run the One Lap of America ever since.
One of my favorites was a test they did a few years back... The Shootout between the 413 Super Stock Dodge and the Fuel Injected Sting Ray from the Beach Boys song "Shut Down".
They just did a "greatest hits" and re-ran that shootout article... the Dodge destroyed the Chevit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.