Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, my other name for it is a well organize pile of parts from the late 70s. Picked it up for a mind bending $400 in 2009. Since that time I can count at least 24 things from different trucks.

Classified ad on ebay, 15-20 miles from my house. 360-4, 727, 203, 3.55. Standard issue shorty 4wd with factory installed plow. Drivers door, frame and grille are 77. Cab, hood, wiring, badges are 79.

Jump started, drove itself out of holes it had sunk in to. Plow frame where he unhooked it and backed away with a hose connected 10 yrs earlier. Every bit as rough as it looks.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Stopped by Ric3xrt to borrow his trailer. He knew about the truck for yrs. Was only slightly annoyed about missing it and did help drag it home. RC was still 318-2 3/tree. The mess did drag itself on and off the trailer while blowing brake lines. Had to floor jack the plow.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tranny fluid got the plow working. A-frame needed a weld. Have since replaced all lines and fittings. Roll bar is period correct but generic after market and freeze split. Hey, was free when picking up some stuff I bought on Craigs. Plan A for this thing was fix plow, wipers, heat, use a few months / year.

Plan B turned out to be:
Master cylinder, calipers, wheel cylinder, proportioning valve, every line in between. Wiper bushings, blower motor, def duct, rewire heater. Use a large bag of heat shrink but now I have many assorted wire nuts! Repair reverse band (I broke it), swap intake (block crossover), put on better carb. Put on even better carb. Cap / rotor / wires / plugs / ecu / ballast / belts / hose / t-stat / collector gaskets. Oddly enough exhaust was only thing not wasted.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, this is a thing I did. Donor bed from Ric3xrt. Paid what I just paid for the entire truck and it was still cheap. This one was really pretty sold but it was also at least (3) different beds stitched together. Had it sand blasted and a couple coats of industrial epoxy coating. Later hit it with expanding foam in mounting channels and bed liner top and bottom.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While the bed was off I patched the gas tank (later replaced), replaced frame x-member, tank straps, fuel lines, hit it with rattle can bed liner and under coat. Wire wheeled and brush painted the plow with rustoleum. Fed it a radiator, added a trans cooler.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had the black low backs most often associated with LRE / Warlock. One new legendary cushion on, other one new in the box. Yes, that bit alone is worth more than what I paid for the whole truck. Ok-ish black carpet but left it out after using up some spare aluminum diamond plate to make floors. Washes out real easy. Found a nicer dash face, added 90s mopar radio w/ speakers in doors and behind seats. Cab has period correct removable sun roof.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Panel by panel rattle can paint job and ya know, it doesn't suck even 9 yrs later. Knocked it down w/ 80 grit, a couple coats of primer, mixed (2) current mopar touch up colors, clear coat. Replaced mirror heads. Back in the day it was pretty common to see these things painted black along bottom after rust touch ups. Looked cool then, so did it now with bed liner. Kinda accidently did hood and roof with engine paint and went - I think I made a macho clone. Still haven't added the stripes.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Original Mopar shorty macho roll bar and not ashamed to admit that I paid a full $20 for it. Gotta love Craigs. Macho rims were usually yellow or black, I went body color. They're all 15x8 wagons but are (2) different sets. Tires had meat but dry rotted. Scored (4) new take off Grabber AT2s 31-10x15 for $350

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gratuitous under hood pic. Currently running a TQ and yes, its a franken quad. Fires up first time every time and just plain loves shoving snow around. Pipes are a bit load but we like it like that running down the road. Bone yard fog lights on front, some old fogs I had on roll bar, later found a boneyard amber beacon. Grille had 5 or 6 rusty holes from missing bug guard, found a nicer one later. Registered as antique.

Attachments

·
Registered
758 Posts
Awesome!  I love the hood/cab top painted...gonna have to keep that in mind!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.