Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to install a new radiator shroud on a my 99 durango with a 5.2L and I accidentally knocked the dipstick handle off. I tried to pull out the remainder of the dipsick with a small screwdriver but I ended up pushing it down further into the tube. Then I tried threading a screw into the remaining plastic of the handle but the plastic just crumbled as soon as I tried to pull the screw out. Then I tried removing the dipstick tube but its stuck tight. I tried using a screwdriver and prying up on the lip where the tube seats into the block and that only started to break the solder. Whats the best way to replace this damned dipstick and (most likely the tube) and get on with my life?

·
Administrator
60,205 Posts
A far as I know, they are still just pressed in, not soldered. I would try to gently grab it at the base with a vise grip, then use a hammer to coax it out. Last resort is to drop the oil pan, and use a punch from below to knock it out.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean the little lip is soldered on , not that the tube is soldered to the block.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Any way to fish a magnet down the tube? Or slide a rare earth magnet up the side of the tube & hope it "grabs" & pulls the dipstick along with it. I'm assuming the dipstick is metallic.

Bucky

·
Administrator
60,205 Posts
Ok, the older tubes just had a type of a bubble flare for the lip.

What does the end of the dipstick look like? If there is any protrusions on it, You might be able to snare it with a small wire. But I bet you will need to remove the tube, or drop the pan and push it from the bottom.

·
Registered
29,099 Posts
just snap it off then use and "easy-out" it will come right out

that or cut the tube shorter and then cut the new dip stick just as short and remark it

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got it out, the most expensive way possible. ran a screw into the plastic on what was left of the dipstick, then I attached my slide hammer to it and pulled. after 3 attempts the whole god damned diptick tube came out, and broke off right at the block 10 days before I was gonna go camping in the damn thing. PHUCK.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it too much to fucking ask to catch a break every now and then? Really goddamnit???Now the fucking thing needs new headlights and a radiator, and the shop needs some new glass. FUCK!!!! Can something just work for once?

·
Registered
29,099 Posts
just snap it off then use and "easy-out" it will come right out

that or cut the tube shorter and then cut the new dip stick just as short and remark it
you,d been on vacation already if you took my suggestions because you.d be done and gone

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I had that problem on a Mazda once. The only right way to do it was to drop the pan. Not fun, I know, but right.

·
Registered
29,099 Posts
I had that problem on a Mazda once. The only right way to do it was to drop the pan. Not fun, I know, but right.

done dozens of them , they come right out from the top with an 'easy-out"

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
done dozens of them , they come right out from the top with an 'easy-out"
When you say Easy out, are you referring to the easy out to back out stripped screws? If not, I guess I don't know what tool you are referring to.

·
Registered
29,099 Posts
screw extraction "easy-out" pop it right in the tube give it a wack and once you get it to turn it.ll come right out

l have the easy-out sockets that turn them to make extraction easier

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
screw extraction "easy-out" pop it right in the tube give it a wack and once you get it to turn it.ll come right out

l have the easy-out sockets that turn them to make extraction easier
Sounds logical. The Mazda I was dealing with was my wifes car. Her trying to deal with it on her own first ended up pushing it down too far the get any sort of tool on it. We ended up taking the pan off and fixing an oil leak at the same time. I will remember the easy out thing if it ever happens again.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so what size ez out, because I dont own any.

·
Registered
29,099 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I feel your frustration ******* in training. Every damn computer in my house has a fucked up keyboard, I can't login or type a damned thing without plugging in a backup keyboard. I'm fixing to take a hammer to mine. My wife won't let me do that to hers though.

Bucky

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How does the bolt extractor pull whats left of the dipstick out of the hole?

·
Registered
29,099 Posts
How does the bolt extractor pull whats left of the dipstick out of the hole?
\
once the extractor BITES the tube , get it to spin and once it's spinning PULL at the same time [ because once it has a bite it will NOT release the bite unless you back off = dont do that ] then keep spinning and pulling till it's out

square drive sockets just might fit if you have any

1 - 20 of 22 Posts