Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ordering chrome differential covers for my ram and i'm wondering what kind of oil i should use when i put them back on?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is kinda off topic, but will a Dana 44 rear cover fit on my front Dana 44? All i can find is rear Dana covers

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone?

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Im thinking a 44 is a 44 no matter what end it's on . one thing . if you have a limited slip diff you will need to add the friction modifier to your oil. David

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
I got mine from Jeg's.
I'm putting Royal Rurple synthetics in mine - it's spendy, but I'm going to give it a try and see if it's worth it.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wondering, why do they have a tendency to leak if you use some silicon or whatever on them?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Most of the "chrome goodies" on the market are cheapies that deflect too much when you torque them down.
If I was going to change out diff covers, I would get a heavy steel or aluminum cover. Expensive, but good seal and tough!

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Get alum it will give off more heat further helping your rearends, and run synthetic gear oil too it will help your rearends some more

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
Ram1985Custom said:
So these Mopar Performance ones on JEGS wouldnt be very good?

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=2647&prmenbr=361
That's the one I got - seems as heavy or heavier than the stock, having no problem so far.... with that said, I agree with the guys here about alum. I just could not afford them at this time, but they're still on my list for sometime in the future. I've never had problems with chrome leaking, but a lot of guys here say that, maybe I've just been lucky or something. Putting chrome anything on (which I am also doing) can be a PITA, you are making yourself more work, because if you don't take care of it it will/can rust and look like crap....
my .02

Mark

·
Registered
157 Posts
FYI, Your local oil distributor will most likely sell you name brand (like Valvoline) synthetic gear oil (various grades) in five gallon buckets for about $115. If you figure out the price per quart at the auto parts store and then think about how much you'll need to do both diffs, t-case, and tranny (about 3.5 gallons on my W350) it's a pretty sweet deal. I had some left over to use in my wifes rig and front and rear diffs of my 4X4 quad.
By local oil distributor I'm talking about the companies that distribute to local garages and some local parts stores, they also sometimes sell racing gas and fuel oil and such.
Yellow pages, "oil" etc...

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
and another thing, the limited slip additive, it's the same thing, ford.chevy.mopar...but ford sells it for 1/2 the price of mopar, and advance auto carries it too.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The chrome covers will seal and do a good job. YOu just need to remove all the chrome color from the sealing surface with a 3M buff pad or like substance and the wipe with brake cleaner and then apply a thin even coat of silicone and it should seal the diff up as long as your mating surfaces are clean and dry from lube or other foriegn substances. What the heck put the chrome ones on for now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I used Lucas oil's 80-90W gear oil, really good stuff and not too expensive. As far as chrome diff covers go... just forget them, they leak and rust. Take your stock one off while changing the oil, clean it up real nice with a wire wheel, and get a really good chrome paint (Sherwin William's, PPG, etc...)or try a high heat aluminum paint which often looks chrome. I painted mine with an exact match of 1970 Sublime green... which looks hot as hell under my black Mopar. Don't use a gasket, Mopar doesn't even make them anymore. Use Permatex gasket maker, the black stuff, and torque the bolts down to 15 ftpds and you will not leak.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts