Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok can anyne tell me why diesels are not only louder but sound soo much different then gas motors????

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
Most of the big rigs are inline six cylinder engines, as well as the Cummins as used by Dodge

Big rigs often have a Jake brake

Diesels use turbos which tend to whistle

Many big rigs don't use mufflers. The turbo will act as a muffler

The rattleing noise you hear is the sound of the ignition explosions smacking the pistons with great force.

Ed

·
Registered
31 Posts
not totally true, large cummins need mufflers otherwise the snap from the jake can be heard for miles, and the whine from the turbo would kill dogs. Cats and dogs(Macks) are the only 2 that can be ran straight pipes without doing major hearing damage. (I know this, as I have been hauling logs for 15 years, and have heard all the combinations. The newer 550 cats are almost too loud for staraight pipes)

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
lost1 said:
not totally true, large cummins need mufflers otherwise the snap from the jake can be heard for miles, and the whine from the turbo would kill dogs. Cats and dogs(Macks) are the only 2 that can be ran straight pipes without doing major hearing damage. (I know this, as I have been hauling logs for 15 years, and have heard all the combinations. The newer 550 cats are almost too loud for staraight pipes)
I never said that a turbo is capable of muffling the exaust more than a muffler. It does muffle the exaust to some extent because the exaust does pass thru it.

I never seen or heard of dogs dying from turbo whine, for the most part the whine from the turbo is less than all the other sounds a diesel makes.

Yes the crack of the Jake brake can be very loud when the rig is running straight pipes, but having owned a staight piped Detroit was no louder than any Cats or Dogs (Macks) The current Cummins I drive today at work runs straight pipes too. It doesn't seem any louder than any other truck I've driven with straight pipes. (Now over 10 years) No, I don't use the Jakes in city areas.

Ed

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was driving my uncles semi through a small small town late at night errrrr erly morning...it was dark lets say that.and i used the jake not thinking it would be as loud as it was..got puled over and the cop was pissed..it was really funny....that was out of nowere,thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MoPaR MaNiaC 79RC said:
Is an exhaust brake the same as a jake brake? Or can you get jake brakes for 5.9 Cummins?
same deal two diffrent names

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
the newest Cummins in the Dodges is already set up to take a jake brake too.
can't remember if it's a factory option to have the brake installed, or just a dealer option though

·
Registered
31 Posts
Jake brake or Jacobs engine brake vents the compression at the top of the stroke instead of injecting fuel. Exhaust brake is a controlled butterfly valve installed in the exhaust pipe. They are 2 different ways to acheive engine braking. A Jake cannot be installed on the Cummins B motors. Jacobs does mfg. an exhaust brake for the 5.9, as does Pac-Brake, BD Performance and some others.

·
Registered
846 Posts
MoPaR MaNiaC 79RC said:
Is an exhaust brake the same as a jake brake? Or can you get jake brakes for 5.9 Cummins?
Yes they are the same. They are a dealer installed Mopar approved option. We have them for Manuals and autos. And they don't void your warenty

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
No they are not the same. Paychk, pretty much explained the difference. Additionally a Jake brake is installed inside the engine. An exaust brake is installed in the exaust behind the turbo.

If you need more explaining, check out this site concerning Jakes;
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question134.htm

Exaust brakes use a valve to restrict the exaust and build back pressure to slow down.

Ed

·
Registered
891 Posts
Well, the important question here is not how they do it, but instead, does an exhaust brake sound like a jake brake?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
No. Because exhaust brakes increase backpressure they serve to further muffle exhaust noise. Jake brakes cause engine air to vent through the exhaust system at high pressure, increasing noise. The two won't sound alike.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
The exaust brake will create noise. It will not totally block off the exaust, some exaust is allowed to escape and this escaping exaust will create some noise above that of the regular exaust.

Ed

·
Registered
846 Posts
RXT said:
No they are not the same. Paychk, pretty much explained the difference. Additionally a Jake brake is installed inside the engine. An exaust brake is installed in the exaust behind the turbo.

If you need more explaining, check out this site concerning Jakes;
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question134.htm

Exaust brakes use a valve to restrict the exaust and build back pressure to slow down.

Ed
Sorry, jakes on Dodges are after the turbo. Work great!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Let me say that the Jake Exaust brake is after the Turbo

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
TheBigSgt said:
Sorry, jakes on Dodges are after the turbo. Work great!
When you generically call any exaust brake a Jake brake you're likley to be corrected. It's like saying NOSS to describe nitrous oxide.

If you talk to any one in the world of big diesels, Jake brake refers to an engine brake not an exaust brake. Now having said all that I'm not ignorant to the fact that Jacobs make an exaust brake, however even using the Jacobs brand exaust brake, it's incorrect to call it a Jake brake.

Ed

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
JackedRamcharger said:
I was told the biggest reason that deisils are so loud is the valves closing
Um, go smack whoever told you that ::) While there is valve noise, RXT explained it pretty damn well. :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts