Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a line on a supposedly nice 93 ClubCab W250, How do you guy`s like the Cummins. I`m really leaning towards getting one but the fact that I have done 90% of resto on my current 86 has me on the fence. I just don`t want to get another truck and have to do ALL the little stuff again, i.e. brake lines, mater cyl, suspension/steering, that nickle and dime stuff is getting hard to pass by the "financial director" ;). Altho the sound and power of a cummins is a big lure. Another thing is what do I do with my 86, if I sell it I`ll more than likely take a bath on it, I have close to 7k invested in it with all the stuff I`ve done to it, but I doubt I`d ever get close to that figure.....anyone wanna buy a REAL nice 86 gasser???

·
Registered
564 Posts
if the cummins is in good shape sell the gasser even if you take a small loss in the long run its a gain,better fuel mpg,more towing capability and will long out last a gasser . also the resale value will be higher if and when you sell it.
i bought my first diesel 6 months ago (01cummins with 70k )and i will never own another gass D/D tow rig{cool}!!

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
don't own a Cummins myself, but they've interested me.
But, unless you need the diesel for towing or hauling or such, or want the club cab, sounds like sticking with the 86 may be a the best option financially. Plus, while everybody talks about the longevity of the Cummins, rest of the truck falls apart as fast as a gasser supposedly will. So brakes, suspension, u-joints, electrical, gaskets, all the nickle and dime stuff that have already cost you plenty can happen again just as easily.

·
Registered
145 Posts
have one of each
if the price is right on the 93 i would jump on it
i have a 93 standard cab 4x4 cummins i have owned sence new its been a good truck...so far no costly repairs no nickle and dime ones either just normal itemsi have a 5 speed and
usualy get between 19 and 24 mpg

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
Thats the choice you're gonna have to make. I can only tell you why one type of engine is better than the other, but in the end, it's your money. If you could, you could keep both and use the Cummins to tow the RC or drive which ever you feel like driving.

Ed

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, the guy sent me some pics of it, it is super clean, except for the dreaded Dodge suede hood paint, interior is about as clean as it gets, and he has service records from day one (he`s the second owner). I think I`m gonna go look at it this weekend, and if it`s as nice in person as it is in the pics I`ll probably drive it home. I`ll post some pics next week if I get it.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
here`s a couple of teaser pics, whatta ya`ll think? ???

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
one more ;D...gives me goose bumps.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
that interior does look quite nice just from that pic. Finding a pickup of that age with a really clean interior and straight body is definately worth considering even if the diesel isn't high on the list.

Also plan out how much of your 86's parts or accessories could be swapped over. Mabey being able to re-use some of it could take the sting out of starting over.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You know Donk, I was thinking about that, but I don`t want to go gutting the 86, I`d like to sell it as easily as possible. I`ll probably just swap the new BFG Muds with the old General`s and MAYBE the front bumper (I think I have to keep the sticker..or Marty`ll get pissed,lol), other wise I`m gonna leave it alone, I figure that way someone`ll be gettin a 90% done rig.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
ChrisLib said:
MAYBE the front bumper (I think I have to keep the sticker..or Marty`ll get pissed,lol)
YES the bumper has to stay or at least be sold to me:D

·
Registered
51 Posts
once you go diesel you won't go back. I have a 1992 D250 love it. My 1973 bedliner dropped right in. After you buy the cummins you can say.

"Real trucks don't have spark or glow plugs"
"You wouldn't need a hemi if you had a cummins"
and the one I always say

"GASOLINE IS FOR SISSIES"

When I went to Canada to get my truck a guy pulled with a mid 90's cummins. It had 825,000 kilometers on it. Thats about 512,631 miles. If your looking for a truck to keep. Get a diesel. Yeah the injection pump might go after 200k but if don't want a monthly payment I would go diesel. Keep up with it mechanically and you save in the long run. The other bonus. You can run Biodiesel. Now with the exception of a partial tank I got in PA. I've been absolutely foreign oil free for a couple months now.

Now you get to say to any enviromentalist associates you may have deal with. You know the ones that hate SUVS.

"Oh your are still running gas, from those Saudi's. I thought you loved the enviroment. All my fuel is grown by American farmers...........But your still running gas?" You mean you are voluntarily giving your money to terrorists and polluting my enviroment....." and you can go on from there. hehehe

Diesel vehicles running Biodiesel are the only true American patriotic vehicles.......

Now I'm looking for a 4cyl Cummins to drop in my 74 RC and be done with it.

Get off the sauce and get a diesel.........

thats my sales pitch..........

PS no offense to those that have hemi's, spark or glow plugs plugs or use sissy saudi based fuel. I know we all have to get to work..........

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
are you using b100? and where do you get it..or better yet do you "brew" your own? I have been thinking of doing that as I hear cost per gal is somewhere around $.50-..75, provided you can get the McDonalds grease for free.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh I did buy the truck BTW, and it`s awesome, pics this weekend hopefully.

G

·
Has anyone ever noticed that only the guys that don't own a cummins diesel have to ask if its a good idea to buy one? I mean you never hear this, "I wish I never would have bought that cummins". Just thinking outloud again.... SteveinAz
P.S. I own two cummins

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I have had it for about a month and a half now abd I know now what your saying steve, I could write a half a page of stuff as to why I love this thing so far but the best has got to be the ga.....errrr FUEL milage, I havent figured it out on paper but it seems like it runs forever and the gauge hardly moves....I`m sold!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts