Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  Had a Q, what is the average lifespan of a diesel engine provided the owner kept up on all the maintenance and didn't beat the crap out of it?

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
300,000+ to 1,000,000+  Seriously, Diesels are long lifespan engines, especially if you take care of them.

My Dad's best friend has 2 Diesels (he transports mail).  One is an Ex-Ambulance (we all call it the Wambulance) with a Ford Powerjoke, it has almost 400,000 Miles on it IIRC. 

Another is a 2001(ish)  Cheby 3500 Series Boxtruck with whatever it is they stuck in the Chevy's,  It's got 250k or maybe it was 350k.

Both still run great, he may get another 200,000 or better out of the Wambulance. Who knows about the Boxtruck, there doesnt seem to be an end in sight for that engine either

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
A very long time if well cared for, my last Cummins truck had over 618k on the engine and still ran as good as it did when I got it with less than 90k on it.

·
Registered
857 Posts
My dad has a 96 ram 2500 with the cummins that seems to have led a rough life but it has 505000 miles on it and is still running strong.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have a '95 Ram with 389,000. The thing is awesome. It starts at the bump of the key, pulls like it overdosed on wheaties, and what is it about the sound? I sit there listening to it and this silly, chisel-proof grin appears. The capper? On a trip to North Alabama, mostly in the 70-80 mph rAnge, it averaged 21mpg! 

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
BlueBeastRC said:
Had a Q, what is the average lifespan of a diesel engine provided the owner kept up on all the maintenance and didn't beat the crap out of it?
Longer than you'll own the truck... ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts