Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, was working on my 85 RC and noticed that the previous owner had the wrong amp fuses in the fuse box 15 amps where it should be 20 amp, etc. (they were all lower amperage) so I grabbed my FSM and started swapping out the fuses with the correct ones. During this process, at one point I completely blanked that I had my keys in the on position and replaced a fuse while the car had power. The buzzer and the radio went out and now I cant seem to get them back. Did I just fry them?

I have an extra radio if I need to swap them but wanted to get your opinions since I am not to good with the electrical side of things.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
  First check the fusible links on the drivers side inner fender.  It will look like several wires coming from a plastic triangle.  One of those wire may have fried. They are designed to fry before your truck BBQs.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
comrade cheddar said:
First check the fusible links on the drivers side inner fender. It will look like several wires coming from a plastic triangle. One of those wire may have fried. They are designed to fry before your truck BBQs.
Okay! I will check that tonight and reply back with the findings. If one of the wires did fry, is it pretty simple to go in an replace the fried wire?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
if it did, replace it with the same type of fusible link not just a regular wire or you might be roasting marshmallows😨

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
if it did burn any auto parts store should have it usually it will say on The Wire fusible link and a gauge, if you can still read it. or bring a section of it with you and match it up. do not put a larger one in place of a small one. basically like don't put a 30 amp fuse where only a 10 amp fuse should be🤗

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jeffy45 said:
if it did burn any auto parts store should have it usually it will say on The Wire fusible link and a gauge, if you can still read it. or bring a section of it with you and match it up. do not put a larger one in place of a small one. basically like don't put a 30 amp fuse where only a 10 amp fuse should be🤗
Gotcha! So they are just doing a job of a fuse but are wires instead. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Here is the fix.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
if alls ya did was change the fuses , maybe one of em is blown ? or in an empty hole ? instead of the right spot?
( only one contac inside fuse block  ) 

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dodge82273 said:
if alls ya did was change the fuses , maybe one of em is blown ? or in an empty hole ? instead of the right spot?
( only one contac inside fuse block )
I have a bunch of 20 amp fuses and I tried them all in ports #4 and #7 which control the radio and buzzer and nothing seems to be working.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Test light!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Make sure it has a good ground at all times because it could fool you

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
  To check the fusible link you pull on each one. If it feels stretchy it is bad.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright back for more, interestingly if I wiggle the fuse around in the box for the number 9 port the buzzer comes back on and I checked for continuity on the fuse and it’s fine. So I’m thinking the contact plates in the fuse port are corroded? Which is why I need to press it at a certain angle to get it to work? Have any of you experienced this?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
there are plastic clips that hold the connection into the fuse box one of them could be broken and you are just pushing it out of the fuse box. Or the connections are just too loose and not tight enough on the fuse. This usually happens when fuse Taps are used.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was also looking at the fusible links tonight and noticed that one of the wires is almost completely cut through or just damaged pretty good. It looks like the green wire. Anyone know which this relates to?

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jeffy45 said:
there are plastic clips that hold the connection into the fuse box one of them could be broken and you are just pushing it out of the fuse box. Or the connections are just too loose and not tight enough on the fuse. This usually happens when fuse Taps are used.
Okay, I noticed the slot for the Radio, fuse Amp 10 uses is using a fuse tap. Should this be removed? However the one for the buzzer is not using a tap and could be loose or the clips have broken like you said. Anyway to go about fixing that?

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
that "green" wire .. looks like a blown fuseable link , follow the destructions (LOL) in above post and repair that .
A little tweeking with a tiny screwdriver can repair the loose fuse holder/s there are tabs on them that "lock" them into plastic body . A " fuse tap " stuffed into a fuse holder .. what does it power ? funny thing is MANY  " expert" installers use them BUT put them in the UNFUSED side of the fuse holder .... ill advised .

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.