Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone have to back the timing off after installing MSD? or maybe a colder plug? Ive got a blaster coil, with MSD plug wires, spark plug heat range is stock, but there autolite platinums at .050 gap. Its an 84 RC 318, rebuilt 2500 miles ago, mostly stock except for a 4 X 4 cam and a Holley 2300 500 CFM carb. Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
I didn't. I put onthe timing control also, and all I had to do was set it where I wanted it, and the adjust the timing accordingly.

If all you did was put the msd on, you should not have to change the timing at all.

Are you sure you wired the msd unit into the distributor correctly ?? there are 2 wires, and it will work either way, but only correctly one way.

Also check to make sure the msd unit is set for 8 cylinders, and that the correct wires were cut for the type of trigger you used.

if it has a rev control. make sure you have the correct chip in it.

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
what rev chip should be used on a 400bb?

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
that depends on how high you want to spin it. if it's stock, I'd say no more than 5500 rpm, and maybe a slow as 5200 rpm.

If it's not stock, find out the upper rpm for your cam, and set it as close as you can to that.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
TheRamChargerMan said:
Are you sure you wired the msd unit into the distributor correctly ?? there are 2 wires, and it will work either way, but only correctly one way.
This was my first thought as well.

quote]
Also check to make sure the msd unit is set for 8 cylinders, and that the correct wires were cut for the type of trigger you used.
For a 6A unit there are no wires to cut. It comes out of the box ready for 4,6,or 8 cylinder engine (self-sensing)

For a 6AL you should not have to cut any wires for a V8. One wire (red IIRC) is cut for 6 cylinders, and both wires cut for 4 cylinders.

Rev chip is also a good suggestion (if 6AL). At the very least try a different chip, the current one may be defective, albeit unlikely.

-SM

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
See what happens if you disconnect the vac amplifier in the egr line

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I have the 6A unit, no rev limiter, it comes set for 8 cylinders. As for the magnetic pick up wiring, the manual says, violet is positive and green is negative. Violet is connected to the gray pick up wire and green is connected to the black pick up wire. Theres no egr valve or any other pollution device on it. Thats all been gone long before I got the truck. I think Ill try to switch out the pick up wires, see what happens, then go from there.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
I seem to remember havign to cut a wire on my 6al because I was using a magnetic trigger (mopar distributor). That is what I was referring to. I wasn't sure about the cylinder count issue.

I had to cut one wire on both the 6al & the timing control box to use the magnetic trigger.

I'd recheck everything in the wiring and make sure you have it set up for magnetic trigger if you are using your stock distributor.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I don't know how much different the 6A is from the 6AL but I did not cut a wire and am using magnetic pickup. I have had zero problems with mine.

I would go ahead and check the timing just to be sure it is set and nothing was bumped.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I believe the wire RCM is referring to is the white small gauge wire. This wire gets used for a points distributor in leiu of the green & violet magnetic pickup wires (it also gets used for EFI vehicles IIRC). Since he is using the magnetic pickup wires, the white trigger wire should NOT be used. You can cut it, or insulate the end of the wire and tuck it away in the wiring harness.

At this point I think reversing the mag pickup wires is his best bet.

BTW--a 6A is virtually the same as a 6AL. The only differences are the 6AL has a rev limiter, and wires need to be cut on the 6AL to set it for 4 or 6 cylinders.

-SM

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went through the instuctions again, just to be sure. Only need to cut wires if its running a 4 or 6 cylinder. No need to cut anything for a magnetic pickup, Ill double check the timing, it was at 8 degrees. I put a new cap and rotor on, without checking the timing after. Ill see what happens, Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.