Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 85 RC and want to know how do I get as edjumakated as the rest of you ********? I'm originally from Georgia so I can say that. ;D

Seriously, aside from my onesie twosie projects I do from my Hayes manual, how do I learn more about what I can do to my truck to make it better?

For example, I have no idea how to determine what kind of axel I have. Is is a Dana 44 or something else? Where do I get the mystical knowledge for figuring it out?

Another example...How do I figure out what kind of carburator I have and how do I go about determining if rebuilding it vs. swapping it with some high performance gig is better? Etc etc. Everyone on here seems like they are professional lmechanics the way they talk. I really want to increase my basic and advanced knowledge of working on vehicles period, but my truck especially. Any words of wisdom ???

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
ok first of all, some of the people that reply on here are actually mechanics and from what i know of them, damn good ones, for the rest of us, what we know is mainly from a "been there, done that" point of view

ok now on to your other questions. if you have an 85 ramcharger, the front axle should be a CAD operated dana 44. CAD stands for center axle disconnect, essentially it is a vacuum operated system that when 4wd is engaged causes a lever to slide over and lock your front axle.

the way to determine if it is a dana 44 or not is to crawl under truck, on one of the flanges on your differential housing will be some numbers, it should be a 44 followed by more than likey an 8fd, if it was an older dana 44 it could have 44 followed by fbj

as far as the carburetor, is it a 2bbl or a 4bbl, i suppose it would also help us if we knoew what engine it had. if not toally sure on the engine, look on the driver side of the block underneath of the exhaust manifolds, there will be a string of numbers there. last 3 numbers are going to be either 318 or 360 if it is a stock engine. you will also notice on this engine that the distributor is on the back of the engine, this signifies that it is a dodge LA small block engine. all dodge big blocks had the distributor in the front of the engine

anyway if it is a 2bbl carburetor it is more than likely going to be either a holley or a carter, if it is a carter it is more than likely going to be a carter BBD. if it is a holley it could be one of 2 or 3 differet ones, you will need to look on base plate of carb to get the list numbers, once you have these we can identify carb for you.

as far as determining if stock is ok or if you need to upgrade, alot of that is going to depend on what you want to do with the truck. there are people on here who can give yo uadvice to go however you want to.

anyway, i hope i have helped oyu a bit on this subject, if oyu need any help feel free to ask.

eric

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks man! Thats the kind of stuff I want to learn.

Can you tell me whats the difference between a small block and big block motor. Purposes, etc?

Also, its a 360, but what does 318 and 360 signify? A measurement? What about when you hear a size in "cc's"? Etc.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I dont know much about a/c parts but i'm a been there done that kinda guy too. (not trained mech.) i'm sure you're rearend is a 9 1/4. if you get down and look at it from the rear it looks like a stop sign. all 1/2 ton trucks and ram chargers after early 70's have 9 1/4 rears. 318 or 360 is the cid. (cubic inch displacement) of the engine. now days they use 5.2 and 5.9 measurements (same as 318 and 360) they are liters i'm new here to this site and have found everyone to be very helpful if you have any questions feel free to ask!

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
The difference between big block and small block is well, the size of the block! Small block V-8's are the 318 340 and the 360. Big block V-8's are the 361 383 400 426 440. The numbers are all CID Or Cubic inch displacement.

·
Registered
90 Posts
big blocks are great for more power and especially torque. they cost more to upgrade or rebuild and a big draw back for big blocks is the tranny. the bolt pattern for the tranny is different than a small block so you need to find a tranny to match. big block bell housings arent cheap.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Dodge 85 RC said:
The difference between big block and small block is well, the size of the block! Small block V-8's are the 318 340 and the 360. Big block V-8's are the 361 383 400 426 440. The numbers are all CID Or Cubic inch displacement.
ok for the small blocks, you missed the 273 and for the big blocks you missed the 413 ;D also cant forget the old poly (wide block) motors or the old style hemis. of course some of these engines were not offered in our beloved ramchargers but they are stilll out there

eric

·
Registered
90 Posts
true., if any body knows of a good 392 or 354 id like to put one in my 87

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Drew85RC said:
Also, do you know if there is a valuable difference between AC Delco type parts vs. the ones you'd buy at Napa..etc?
there is a good chance that even if oyu buy the part at napa it will be an AC Delco part. while delco has some good parts, there are opther brands out there that sell the same parts for the same price but better built.

it would all depend on what part you were looking for

ok now for a little more information for you. since you have a 1985 dodge ramcharger with a 360 motor.

in 1985 if you bought a dodge ramcharger /plymouth trailduster (yes people, TD's were made after 1980) you had the option of 3 engines, either a 225 slant 6 motor, an LA small block 318, or an LA small block 360. the 225 would have more than likely came with a 1bbl carburetor, there is an off chance it could have had a super six setup and had a 2bbl carb but not likely. also, with this slant 6 option it more than likely would have had a manual transmission, i have seen /6's with an auto but not many.
with either of the v8's you would have had the option of either a 2bbl or a 4bbl carb, if a 2bbl more than likely would have been either a carter bbd or a holley. if a 4bbl, could have been the holley or a rochester quadrajet. also with either of these engines, you could have had either the TF727 3 speed automatic transmission or an NP435 4 speed transmission, auto tranny was more common.

behind these transmissions you would have had either a NP208 (most likely) or an NP205 transfer case. 208 is aluminum cased chain driven, 205 is a huge ol' honkin, bullet proof cast iron gear driven case.

for a front axle you would have had a dana 44-8fd and a rear axle more than likely would have been the corporate 9.25, could have also had a corporate 8.25 but not as likely

gear ratio more than likely was 3.23 or 3.54, but could be anywhere from 2.94 to 3.91

for the front axle yo uwould not have manual hubs to lock, it would have been a CAD setup with auto hubs

your tire bolt pattern would have been 5 on 5.5, stock tires more than likely were 235/75/15 but could have been 265/75/15

in 1985 you were 5 years to late for the fully removable top ramchargers also missed out on the full time 4wd and 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern, also the last big block was offered in 1978 so you were to late for that as well

in 1985, if the person purchasing the truck was nice he/she checked the box to have the factory rollbar installed.

more than likely had a 35 gallon fuel tank but could have been a 24 gallon tank

also for that 360 engine, more than likely got attacked by the emmissions demons, therefore compression was around 7.5:1 or 8:1 not nearly as high as the mid seventies engine

on a better note, you got an engine that with good maintenance is good for well over 300,000 miles

if oyu were unlucky original purchaser ordered running boards, if this is the case then you more than likely have huge rust holes behind your front wheels, also a good chance floor pans are really rusted

another positive note, you have avehicle that with very little modification makes the most trail worthy rig out there and you get to make fun of all oyur friends who dont drive one as you pull them out of the holes you just drove through and they got stuck in

any more info you want let us know

eric

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Drew85RC said:
Thanks for the heads up on the manual. Can you tell me about the Hemi? Its the latest buzzword on the new Durango commercials. But whats it really mean?
HEMI is short for hemispherical, which is the design of the combustion chamber on the heads. however, even though technically the new heads use a "HEMI" chamber it is still not the design of the original and oh so well known hemi

eric

·
Registered
90 Posts
theres an old hemi in your classifieds for $100 bucks? if so can you get me the number? hemi referes to the cylinder head on the engine. the combustion chamber (where the spark plug pokes through) has a round shape (hemispherical) and the spark plug is inbetween the two valves. this design gives much better air flow. thats why the hemis make so much power for smaller displacement

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does the hemispherical combustion chamber do magic in terms of power and torque? The way they are marketed it sounds that way.

I bought my RC from my wife's grandparents who never let it stay parked outside over night unless on a trip, so the body is in great condition. No mods on it, everything still original, except for the tranny I had replaced the year before last. The motor leaks like niagra falls, so one day I hope to learn how to rebuild the sucka. Add a cracked flexplate, cracked exhaust manifold to that.

Speaking of the exhaust manifold, the guy at Autozone said the price of the high performance headers were less than the replacement manifold. Does it make sense to replace it with headers..and more importantly..what the heck are headers?! Compared to an exhaust manifold that is...=)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts