Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ramcharger died the other day and I cannot get it started again, when I turn the key, I do not get gauges, dash lights, no radio, only the buzzer works. We don't think it is the battery because we hooked it up to the voltmeter and it shows 12 volts, I am in the process of replacing the ignition switch, when we pulled the old one off it smells burned. Any Ideas or suggestions for the cause of my proble, please let me know

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Are you sure the batterys good? What I mean is did you check the battery under a load and get 12 volts or was it checked with out a load. I've seen several batterys that are bad, static (without load) they had 12 volts but under a load had less than a volt. Easiest way to do the test is turn on the head lights and check the battery with the lights on.
If it died while driving and has a dead electric system I would also look at the alternator

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
i dont know if they did away witht hem by 93 but see if you ahve a starter relay... when t he one went out in my73 valiant i had no power period and nothing happened exept a little buzzer for the key in deal...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does the key feel kinda funny when you turn it. Sort of a dead feeling. (hard to explain) If battery is good then it's probably the ignition switch. I came out one morning and had nothing in my 92 Ramcharger. Turned out to be the ignition switch. It is real easy to get to and came right off of column. BUT, when I was swapping over the key cylinder it kicked my butt. I don't really remember the exact how and what but the cylinder can only go in to the switch a certain way and it fought me like you would not believe!!!!! Luckly I had a new key cylinder that I had never gotten around to installing and was able to get everything back together after about and hour of cruising. Take your time and remember exactly how you remove everything.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My dads jeep did this once. But with his there was absolutely nothing when you turned the key, no buzzing, no clicking, no nothing. Strangly enough a buddy of mine said it might just be the ignition, and it might be loose/wires/etc. Slammed the hood closed, slammed the door shut getting in, and it started right up :) wierd? yes. Will it work for you :) probably not. -myers

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
could be the bulkhead connector at the firewall,too but usually in the older stuff.check the ammeter wiring too,all the power runs through it.burned mine up boosting one time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.