Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replacing my dash lights with leds, does anyone have a diagram that labels the cavity ( ie dash light, high beam, directional) for a 87?

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
hold the dash cluster up in front of a bright light with the bulbs removed ... light shines thru the back and from the front you can see what a hole does .............. there may be some you didn't know existed ....

·
Administrator
62,302 Posts
If you have an oil gauge, do not put a bulb in the hole behind it. That is for the oil light for trucks without the gauge.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
dependin on the wiring and sender some have both remember ...

·
Administrator
62,302 Posts
dodge82273 said:
dependin on the wiring and sender some have both remember ...
But they were not wired for both. They had both senders, using the switch to power the electric choke. At the dash, the light and gauge use the same traces, and adding both will keep the gauge from moving. Especially with LEDs.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
humm G/F's 87 , has both , the 3 wire switch , does the choke close , and opens the oil light , the bell does the gauge . Its a se or le whatever deluxe it IS the only one I've seen like that ,an unmolested 1 owner truck . ( ok the owner gave it to his nephew , who sold it to me for collage money , having never driven it. 1 small dent , bad paint )

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, good to know about the oil gauge. I've got green LEDs, and didn't want to put them in the warning light holes, or the high beam hole. How many and where are just the ilums at, or just trial and error?

Mark

·
Administrator
62,302 Posts
I do not have a manual handy, but just find one with the blue cover, then follow the electrical trace to the rest.

IIRC, the only ones that are not for illumination, are the two turn signals, the high beam, the oil, and the brake light.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
yes illumination will use 2 common coppers , while the indicators will use 1 common and each has its own 2nd copper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.