Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the dash mounted lamp assembly that comes on as a courtesy lamp when the doors are open (just to the left of the ashtray) out of my 79 ramcharger in order to paint the entire metal panel where the ashtray is mounted. When I did and removed the bulb, the glass broke off and I had to use needle nose pliers to pull the metal mount out. I can't read the bulb number off the metal, and not sure which bulb replaces it. The original has 2 post connections on the bottom, and the glass bulb portion was round and about the size of a marble. Autoparts store tells me it is is a 1004, but a 1004 is too big and won't fit inside the cover that goes over the bulb. Oreilly sold me a 90, but it doesn't work. The original bulb worked before I brokje it while removong it, so I know wiring is ok (Connector has a red and white wire running to it). Can't find a reference to it in FSM, but I am probably calling it by the wrong name by calling it a couretesy lamp, and using the word "Dash" in any search has just brought up instrument panel lamp lists. There is a list in a post on this site, but it also says to use a 1004.

Anyone know of the correct bulb number? Or has anyone replaced the assembly easily with an LED replacement and happen to know which one they used? I haven't had much luck with LED replacements. I replaced my dash instrument cluster lights with LEDs, and I was less than impressed by their lack of brightness.

Thanks in advance, Brian

·
Registered
1975 W100 Power Wagon Adventurer Sport 318 727 NP203 3.55
221 Posts
try the tag light bulb for a step bumper i remember reading that they are the same light.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. The license bulb wasn't it. It has a single contact. I do see an "8" stamped on the remains of the bulb, so I think 68 may be right. Will give it a try.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
My Chiltons shows #90 for courtesy/map for 1977 then #211-2 for 1979-80
#158 is instrument cluster lambs.

Bucky

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.