Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had some time today... and one thing led to another.

I yarded out the tired Dana 70u on sacked-out leafs. The narrow-ish track is due to the 3rd-gen wheels on SRW axle.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is the Dana 80 SRW axle I hacked out of a scrap frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is as far as I got with the hangers today.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Few pics after I wrapped up tonight....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Worked on the hangers some more yesterday.... welded them up to my liking. Got them in for a trial fit. Got the 33" tires in there, and the truck is resting on the ground to see how its going to sit.  8)  Right now its 2" taller than the front. 

Attachments

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
;D

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Nice! Lot's o work there!

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Big Isle Boy said:
Nice! Lot's o work there!
Thanks!

Any commentary on the pinion angle?

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Think I got it.... one side mocked up.  ;D The other hanger is cracked and needs mending.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
and done  8)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Takin' a break tonight.... been doing all this after work starting July 1st. Kind of exhausted :p

Here's what I accomplished in one shot:
  • Dana 80 upgrade (11.25" vs 10.5")
  • spline upgrade (35 vs. 32)
  • wider axle (70" vs 65")
  • 9/16" wheel studs
  • no driveshaft mods
  • larger brakes (that work) and slide-off drums (13" vs 12")
  • 4" lift
  • longer leafs (60" vs. 52")
  • shackle flip (supposedly better ride)
  • same ratio (3.54)
  • open diff is ready for a lockright (gonna steal from D250)

Still have to put the cover on, fill with lube, hookup brakes, install shocks, and take for a test drive. Needs to be ready for camping trip July 21. :eek:

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
test drove no shocks or brakes seems okay  ;D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finished up shocks and brakes  8) 

I mounted the brake line block on the lift block. It was the only spot that all the lines would reach to.

I cut the shock studs off the old ubolt plates and welded them to the 2nd-gen plates. Not pretty... but does the job for now.

It rides really GREAT too ;D The old suspension rode like a brick. Its even the same shocks on there.  :D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok... final pic with 2" front spacers, 3rdgen wheels, 295/70R17 Toyos, & camper  8)

Rear rides superb... like cadillac with camper  ;D

Front is very 'firm' still. I repaired the ovaled holes in the hanger. I have a winch bumper to steal off the D300... any extra weight should help too.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got back from camping in one piece  8)  I put 1000km on it (600+ miles?) including some mountain grades. Hubs ran cool. Brakes worked great.  Pinion seal leaked a bit, but it was still overfilled when I checked before the ride home. Kiddos insisted on posing with the truck  ;D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It was time to address the pinion & hub seals. Put in the Lockright while I was at it, and straightened up the shocks. Stock 95 shocks oddly enough  ;D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I totally missed the parking brakes.

What I did was hook the 2ndgen diff's cables to the 1stgen main cable. Strung them out tight, and that decided the bracket's location. There's actually lots of wheel cable this way... nice for a lifted truck.

I chose random scraps of stuff for cable guides. You're also seeing my #2/0 battery cable dressed similarly. ;D

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
so i have a question, You put 2nd gen hangers and leaf springs in the rear suspension? just lowered them to where you wanted them for the 4in lift? welded a piece of angle iron on the bottom and mounted them to the frame?

How has it held up the last 3 years if thats what you did?
I have a 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Clubcab and my rear of front hanger is rusted out. I cant find any front of rear hangers any where online. i have successfully found some rear of rear hangers but no luck for the fronts. On this same website i found 2nd gen hangers for the rear front&rear. So im wondering should i just order the 2nd gen hangers and use them on my 1st gen. your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's holding up great. I got the idea from Ford... their hangers sit lower. Also, there's a ford shackle that's about twice as beefy.

It might be getting time to upgrade the leafs though. They're just stock/used '95 2500 leafs, and they've taken a beating from how I use the truck.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.