Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assume but just want to make sure that the outer spindles and hubs are the same on a 61 as a 60. I have a 60 with external lock outs that I want to switch to internals. I found a possible 61 for cheap that u just want to use the hubs to put on my 60. Dont care about the gearing issues.

·
Administrator
62,294 Posts
Yes, they are the same. Can also use Cheby D60  front hubs and rotors from the 70's on. I think you also need to swap the outer stub axle, hopefully someone more educated on the D60, can set me straight.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I have done the swap using Chevy hubs before so I knew they would work just never messed with a 61 before to know if they were the same. Going to 35 spline outers that I why I need the internal lock out hubs.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
The D61 is identical to the D60 as far as the hubs, knuckles and brakes are concerned.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
Just the hub and the locking hub. Stub shaft, spindle and rotor are the same.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Elwenil said:
Just the hub and the locking hub. Stub shaft, spindle and rotor are the same.
Yep that exactly, everything else is the same.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The external hub uses a different rotor than the internal hub on a drw (dual rear wheel) not sure on srw (single rear wheel), but i would think so.
Different offset mounting point to brake surface.

Edit for spelling

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
9296 said:
The external hub uses a different rotor than the internal hub on a drw (dual rear wheel) not sure on srw (single rear wheel), but i would think so.
Different offset mounting point to brake surface.

Edit for spelling
I have never had to change rotors doing the swap from external to internal.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ruderunner said:
Yes but, what is needed to swap internal for external?

Spindle? Stub? Rotor?

Ive heard conflicting reports.
Internal lock outs are stronger and you can also go to a bigger 35 spline shaft. If you dont need a lock out and are ok with drive flanges then external hubs are fine and I think you can get a 35 spline flange now maybe.

·
Administrator
62,294 Posts
Mopar_Mudder said:
I have never had to change rotors doing the swap from external to internal.
The rotors are near identical. The older ones were about 1/4" thinner. The later ones were the ones chebby used throughout the 70's and 80's. Many here have used the chebby rotors on the earlier Dodges, as an upgrade. No other changes needed.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Mopar_Mudder said:
Internal lock outs are stronger and you can also go to a bigger 35 spline shaft. If you dont need a lock out and are ok with drive flanges then external hubs are fine and I think you can get a 35 spline flange now maybe.
Watch amazon for the the 30spl hubs (yukon) and 30spl alloy stubs (usa gear). Cheaper than stock parts in most cases.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.