Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. How much stronger is the dana 60 than the 9.25 Chrysler?
2. Is there an such thing as a factory electric locked Dana 60?
3. Will a locker off a Dana 60 rear fit in a Dana 60 front?
4. Is it worth tossing the electric locked 60 under the rear of my wheeling truck even though I will still have a 1/2 ton front end?
5. Is $100 fair for a locked Dana 60 rear?
Here's the situation, a guy I know has an electric locked Dana 60, looks factory (?), same gears as I run in my 1/2 ton wheeler. My 1 ton and 3/4 ton have dana 60 fronts, and a locker would be nice. Just trying to figure out what to do with it if I buy it.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
the shafts are pretty close in size, but the advantage comes in the fact that the dana is a full floating axle. ive personally never heard of a factory electric locker, but that doesnt mean someone didnt offer one. the rear 60 is 30 spline unless its an HD, the front is a 35 spline. depending on what your doing decides on its worth of putting it in. the biggest downfall initially is that you will have to carry 2 spares until you convert the front to 8 lug. also, if the gears are different, you can use 4x4 until you get a matching set. and yes, 100 is a good deal for an electric locked rear 60.

Duane

·
5,141 Posts
rynbrn said:
4. Is it worth tossing the electric locked 60 under the rear of my wheeling truck even though I will still have a 1/2 ton front end?
Here's the situation, a guy I know has an electric locked Dana 60, looks factory (?), same gears as I run in my 1/2 ton wheeler. My 1 ton and 3/4 ton have dana 60 fronts, and a locker would be nice. Just trying to figure out what to do with it if I buy it.
Thanks
1. Enough to make it worth swapping
2. not that I know of.
3. Only if the rear has 35 splines, cause all fronts are 35 splines, most rears are 30 except for 60HD's and converted rears.
4. I would swap the rear and convert the front to 8 lug till you can afford a front 60
5. Yes, 100 is a good price

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
No, $100 is a shitty price. Don't buy it. But tell me where it is, and I'll come and beat some sense into him.

The axles are about the same size, and the ring gear in a 60 is 1/2" bigger, but like was said, the main thing is the full floating axles.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only thing that has me holding back is wondering about the locker. He says its factory, out of a 1989 W250. Never seen nor heard of such a thing myself, but it does have some interesting looking electronic stuff sticking out of it. Not just an ABS sensor far as I could tell.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CLRracer said:
pop the cover and see if it is a locker. ABS didnt come around until the 90 model.

Duane
My '89 has rear ABS. Don't really want to offent the guy by popping the cover off in his driveway, i have classes with him 7 hrs a day 4 days a week. Nice guy, very much doubt he would purpousfully decieve me. But at the same time, i've seen a few dodges in my day and never one with a factory locker, and i sure would be bummed to buy it and find out he was mistaken. I suppose I shouldn't argue too much, $100 seems to be a deal either way, but i really don't need it unless it has a locker.

·
5,141 Posts
I would buy it and worry about the locker later.

The shafts in a 9.25 are actually bigger than the shafts in a 60, but the shafts in the 60 don't have to support the weight of the vehicle as they do in the 9.25, so they can be smaller and still be stronger.

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
The locker could have been dealer installed.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ended up buying it; no locker. I'll still eventually put it under my 1/2 ton. Now I just need to find one for the front. Out of curiosity, whats it take to make a 1/2 ton 44 a 3/4 ton? Could I just swap knuckles to get the 8 bolt?

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
rynbrn said:
The '60 has a larger diameter r&p gear, often it has larger axleshafts, and it may have a bigger yoke for the larger u-joint series. One big advantage of the Dana 60 is that it's a full floater as compared to the 9.25 which is a semi floater. The full floater actually puts less stress on the axleshafts because the axleshafts do not carry the weight of the truck as they do on a semi floater design.

Not that I'm aware of.

It depends. A rear locker will fit a front axle if the front has the same number of splines on the axleshafts.

It can be done if you can't afford to install a front Dana 60 right now. You will have to make sure that the gears in both axles match each other, and you gonna have to carry two spares unless you make a knuckle-out swap to use the 8 lug hub assy. on your front axle

Only if the locker works.

Thanks
It's all up to you. ;D

Ed

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
No electric lockers for a D-60 till this year

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
In a Ram?? Dodge discontinued using Dana axles in '02 and is now using AAM axles.

Ed

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
I was under the impression that electric lockers was a fairly new invention ........ atleast in terms of being cost effective for a company to make them. and the only factory E lockers i have heard of are in the Rubacon and the new PW. there has been a form of a locker avaliable from the factory for several years for the D60 but it was in no way selectable. David

1 - 17 of 17 Posts