Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the dana 60HD is used for both single rear wheel and dual rear wheel set-up's...

Can it be said that the only difference between the 2 set-ups are longer axle shafts, the drums, and wheel studs?

·
Super Moderator
9,424 Posts
There may also be some difference in the bearings,... but I really don't know. However, this reply will move the post back up for others to see...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well Jay since you answered that one.Whats the difference in the Dana 60 rear axles used in 1976 and newer Dodge B350 vans as compared to the Dana 60 rear used in the trucks?
Are they wider?
I know the spring perches are mounted wider than the truck axles.But thats easy for someone to adjust.
The van Dana 60's are all over the place here and are easy to find as compared to the truck axles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
A dana 61?Ive never heard of that one much less seen one,I think.
Whats the differemce in the 60 and the 61?
Ive got a couple Dodge B300 and B350 15 passenger vans with what I thought was dana 60's on my salvage lot I will check them and see.
Jay have you got any measurements on a rear Dana 60 that I could use to check the van axles with to find out for sure?
I dont have a Dana 60 rear here other than whats in the vans,all GM corp 14 bolts including whats in my RC.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Measure the rears from face to face (where the wheel bolts to the axle) and from backing plate to backing plate and backing plate mount to backing plate mount and then you will know if they are the same lenghts then all you will have to worry about is cutting and rewelding perchs if backing plate to backing plate is different but everything else is the same it would be diff in brakes used

·
Registered
777 Posts
Usually Van rear ends are wider than truck rears. I know they are in Chevys.

The Dana 61 is only found in Vans as far as I have ever seen. Dana 61's usually run high gears like 3.20 and don't have any low gears avaliable to swap in, and they are different than 60's with hardly any parts interchanging.

The biggest part in determining whether a axle will work in any application is the width from wheel flange to wheel flange. You don't want a axle that makes your tires stick out to far or stay in to far. Sping pad location can be changed. Backing plates usually don't cause much trouble as long as there is enoung room between them for the springs.

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
My 727 diesel had 3:54's ??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts