Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly is different between a regular dana 44 front axle and a 44 HD axle? Someone told me that the inner axle shafts are much larger in diameter in the HD vs. the regular 44. Is this true? What parts are interchangeable and what parts aren't bewteen the two?

Thanx ;D

G

·
Both axles use 30 spline inner axleshafts. I know that gears, Diffs, knuckles hubs pinion yokes all interchange. I know that you can also us gm,ford or dodge knuckles on them too. Axle shafts willl interchange as long as you have the right lenth shaft. The outer stub shaft is interchangeable for all brands except for the 70's dodge fulltime stubsshafts. Those stubs are specific to Dodge only.

G

·
I don't know if the above information holds true for hi-pinion 44's with reverse rotation gears. so use caution if you're dealing with one of those axles.

·
Premium Member
8,689 Posts
I think the only difference really is the HD has 8 lug wheels?? or is that just the 3/4Ton version not the HD? I was thinking thats all, every dana 44 I have seen seems the same from the C brackets in, except fer furds hi pinions

·
Registered
30,111 Posts
the axle tubes are thicker to handle more weight and the 8-lug

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I am not sure about Dodge, but my friends chevy uses four u-bolts instead fo the two studs on locate the spring on the passenger side. But maybe that is the chevy way of doing it. I never looked at any other truck they made.

Brian

·
Registered
32 Posts
I recently had to cut up some old 44's for a buddy of mine.One was a 8 lug 77' full time and the other was a 5 lug 77'. I think all that was different was the knuckles out but I may be wrong.

·
Registered
291 Posts
gmule said:
Both axles use 30 spline inner axleshafts. I know that gears, Diffs, knuckles hubs pinion yokes all interchange. I know that you can also us gm,ford or dodge knuckles on them too. Axle shafts willl interchange as long as you have the right lenth shaft. The outer stub shaft is interchangeable for all brands except for the 70's dodge fulltime stubsshafts. Those stubs are specific to Dodge only.
evarythings the same from the balljoints in. HD just means its in a 3/4 ton truck with 8 lug rotors.
I just swapped 3/4 ton chevy outers from a 10 bolt on to my dodge 1/2 ton d44, everything swaps out pretty easy.

By the way, BUSH SUX

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
The only differences between the Dana 44 and the 44HD is, the HD has 8 lugs to the regular 44s five lugs, and the HD has larger brakes.

Ed

·
Registered
300 Posts
The D44HD's have larger bearings on the outers, and thicker housings, as they were made to carry more weight than a regular D44. They all use the same size shafts. The D44HD's also have larger brakes, again for the weight carring abilities.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
chasone64 said:
The D44HD's have larger bearings on the outers, and thicker housings, as they were made to carry more weight than a regular D44. They all use the same size shafts. The D44HD's also have larger brakes, again for the weight carring abilities.
That doesn't always apply. The Dana 44 can be spec'ed by the manufacturers in so many different ways. I've seen HDs with smaller bearings than some other regular 1/2 ton versions. Some could have thicker axle tubes but I doubt it's exclusive to 3/4 ton HDs, besides no matter how much material they request in their product, the ball joints are the limiting factor for load carrying. Most of the older axles use the same C's and knuckles, and therefore the same ball joints. Some of the new axles are now using wider C's and knuckles, I'll guess that they use different ball joints too.

Ed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts