Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well during a hardcore weekend of wheeling i spun out a cap on my pas wheel joint by doing this i made the hole were the cap goes in oval shaped
now my ? is i know were a dana 44 hd with disk brakes is that i can get a axle from but is it the same axle as mine with drum brakes
also do all dana 44 have the same axle or is it diffrent between the hd's and the reg 44
and ive got to ask is thier any way to do a quick fix

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Richard,
I think that the drum brake has a different axleshaft than the disk breaks. I don't think the other differences matter that much as long as the gearing matches the rear. The Hd's do have stronger avleshafts then the regular 44's also. As for a quick fix on the wallowed out hole I think I could probably come up with a way to fix it
Mid_evil_thymz

·
Premium Member
7,246 Posts
Not all Dana 44 axleshafts are the same. You need to check those critical dimensions to make sure it will fit. Length, spline count, and seal surface diameter. Even if the HD axleshaft fits, it won't be much stronger than a regular '44' axleshaft. Also depending on year and version, some older Dana 44 axle stub shafts used in Chebbys were thinner and prone to failure under extreme off roading. HDs tend to have thicker stub shafts, but not always, make sure you're not downsizing the stubbys (Hopefully your stubs survived so you ain't gotta replace those too.)

Dana 44 axles and stub shafts typically have weak yokes as these weren't heat treated. If you are willing to spend the big bucks, some aftermarket companies do produce axleshafts that do have heat treated yokes which makes a huge difference in strength in '44' axles. Theres another post discussing full circle clips to better retain the u-joint caps. You may want to consider this mod to prevent a repeat performace.

-Sorry Rodney, theres no way to fix this problem as the metal is damaged when it's distorted. Once the yoke hole stretched, it's not long for this world, and they will break completely if repairs are tried.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rxt what do you mean by stub shaft ???
are you refering to the small part of the shaft that goes into the wheel because that is the one that is messed up

·
Premium Member
7,246 Posts
Stub shaft, yes it the short shaft that goes into the spindle. Make sure you have the correct length, and spline count. Later axles and '44HD's are more likely to have bigger stub shafts (But not always)

Stay away from late 60s early 70s Dana 44 as used in Chebby Blazers and K trucks as these definately had skinny stubs.

Ed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.