Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am missing the part that goes over the grease seal on the spindle on one side of my '79 W100. If somebody could post a parts breakdown on this axle, I could tell you all exactly what it is I need, and all I get from auto parts stores is blank stares.... Help!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Might be the rearmost piece on what is called out as Number 11, or if that is part of the grease seal, it hammers into the spindle from the rear covering Part 11 on the above IPB. Yes, the truck is FT 4WD...

G

·
I replaced mine last year. When i get home from work ill try and dig out the part number I have for it. Welcome to the site. and be Sure to check out the TN chapter board
Dave

·
7,995 Posts
I'm lost as there is no spindle on a full time 4 wheel drive....just the steering knuckle. The bearings ride inside the steering knuckle. does you truck happen to have hubs?

·
7,995 Posts
Ok Dave...you havnt lost me yet...I have the same axle you do as long as yours is factory original? In order for the part to turn with the wheel it has to be attached to the axle shaft shown in this picture, circled in yellow. Are we close? There is a part called a "slinger" that fits onto this yellow highlighted area. It's kinda pressed on or fits very snug on the shaft.
http://ramchargercentral.com/boards/index.php?board=&action=howtoshow;id=35

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Chump, Dave and I debated his situation for a few hours last night in the chat room. First i want to ask, don't the grease seal ride where you hilighted in yellow? Ok Dave's problem is he has his truck at Pepboys and he has excessive wheel play i believe on drivers side. Well thats the bearings. Pep boys told him he needed a new knuckle, so he gets one out of a junk yard. Then they tell him they cant fix it till he gets this mystery part. It seems the other side has it and you can see it from just having the truck jacked up and it sits over the grease seal. Well i don't go for what Pepboys is saying cause the wheel bearing affects your wheel play. I think they tried installing the bearing without a race or something on it and thats why the knuckle was screwed up. I took the parts breakdown from above and modified it to point out the individual parts and put BCA bearing part numbers on it. I think Dave is going to print that out and take it to them.

·
7,995 Posts
chrysler300le said:
Chump, Dave and I debated his situation for a few hours last night in the chat room. First i want to ask, don't the grease seal ride where you hilighted in yellow? Ok Dave's problem is he has his truck at Pepboys and he has excessive wheel play i believe on drivers side. Well thats the bearings. Pep boys told him he needed a new knuckle, so he gets one out of a junk yard. Then they tell him they cant fix it till he gets this mystery part. It seems the other side has it and you can see it from just having the truck jacked up and it sits over the grease seal. Well i don't go for what Pepboys is saying cause the wheel bearing affects your wheel play. I think they tried installing the bearing without a race or something on it and thats why the knuckle was screwed up. I took the parts breakdown from above and modified it to point out the individual parts and put BCA bearing part numbers on it. I think Dave is going to print that out and take it to them.
The original grease seal that rides in that area is a funny looking seal...actually called a wiper in the parts book. It's just a piece of V-shaped rubber..almost like the inside of a REAL wheel seal but without the metal ring. This funny seal rides on the slinger I was talking about. It allows grease to flow out of the bearing area when you grease the bearings and helps keep dirt from entering from the outside. I'll see if I can come up with a better picture/s..it's not easy since this is a limited Mopar setup...we all know how that goes?:)

·
7,995 Posts
Finally found it! Chrysler parts only and I don't know if they are still available from the dealer...maybe NOS, if not or a driveline shop. Get back to me if I can help further?
4036431...slinger...Mopar only
4036432...wiper(V-seal) Maybe NAPA but I dont know :-\

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Ok i bet the metal ring labeled slinger is what he was looking for. Pep boys is telling him he needs that to fix his wheel looseness problem. I don't think so.

·
7,995 Posts
chrysler300le said:
Ok i bet the metal ring labeled slinger is what he was looking for. Pep boys is telling him he needs that to fix his wheel looseness problem. I don't think so.
No...his looseness is either bearings or knuckle...I've never seen the hub on the rotor go bad...also everything has to go back together and be torqued down before they can find any looseness. This is not the most forgiving system to take apart and re-install in 10 minutes for test purposes. ??? Also a new bearing set comes with a machined spacer that goes between the bearings.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
I wasn't sure what all the new bearing set came with. Its BCA part number A22. I gave that to him to tell pep boys to get that and install in his truck.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.